Sign in to follow this  
emmaandaj

looking to get a parrot harness

Hi, was looking to get a harness for Alfie (CAG), But have come across people mentioning a flightsuit. Can you please tell me what the difference is between the harness and the flight suit?? Is the flight suit better? I've never seen a flightsuit, so any pics of info would be grat, or if you know any websites I could look at, that be great too. I worry about the harness kinda looks like it could come off quite easy or get chewed through :o . But really want to be able to take it outside, obvisously got a while to think about it, or get him use to it. Wouldn't take him out till weathers a bit warmer. 8):D

Thanks for any info.

Emma :)

there are many different kinds of harnesses avilable- heres links to most of the ones i know :)

http://www.freewebs.com/featheredfamily/harness.htm -- make your own

http://www.flightquarters.com/index.html -- flight suits

http://www.fredbird.net/products.html ---Kaylor Collar Bird Harness

http://theparrotuniversity.com/aviator_harness.php -- Aviator harness (in my opion the best choice)

maybe have advantages and dissadvantages, flight suits dont let the birds ruffly there feathers up which means they find it difficult to contorl there body temp. but then again it means u dont have to worry about them pooping on you.

Sorry, but I hate those flight suits. I know that some people just use them so they can take their birds out and about. Fair enough if it gives the birds a better quality of life.

But they seem to be a very popular thing in america. And I've seen and read of too many people who use them on their birds in their homes to stop their birds from "messing up" the place. For goodness sake! :evil:

Wish i could find it, but someone wrote about seeing the manufacturers of these suits on a tv programme, promoting their business. Basically they were trying to get a bird in the suit and it wasn't having any of it. The bird was getting more and more stressed with the prat still trying to stuff the bird in the suit. Apparently the interviewer could see this and suggested that they gave up.

Sorry I can't remember where this was, a forum somewhere :oops: But I thought at the time, I wouldn't give such a company my money.

While I appreciate they could be put to a possible good use by allowing an owner to take their birdy out and about, they are another thing that can be open to abuse.

The harnesses look better to me, but still with pitfalls. I tried one hoping that it would improve my birds quality of life. But It now sits in a draw, well and truly tatty, and our 'too could break/undo the catches. But what's another twenty squids down the pan if ya love ya birdies :D/ :D

Well I don't care about where Alfie poops, he's actually quite good at pooping on his stand anyway. I think after training a dog and a toddler where to poo, birdy poop is nothing!!!

Good point Arwen, about them not being able to ruffle their feathers hadn't thought of that, that can't be nice for them, Alfie loves doing that.

Thought I'd buy one soon as I thought it would be better for him to get use to it while he's still young and I know it can take ages for them to use use to it, was actually thinking about having hanging near the outside of his cage for a while.

The only thing is I'm a bit like a worrying new mother whose worried about losing her baby, the harnesses just look so flimsy I worry about him getting out of it. But I suppose if he's outside I think he'd be too busy having fun to think about getting out of it, well lets hope. Thanks for all your advice, love to know all your opinions. So please keep them coming if you've got anything to add!

Lol about the poops emaandaj! There are other peeps who use harnesses on here I've seena few pics. Did you try a search?

Properly fitted a harness shouldn't come off, but the catches that fasten it could be the cause of a potential 'escape'. Some have like miny dog lead type clips. Mine had those little locks that you squeeze on each side and they then slide apart, they are made of plastic.

But you've got the right idea to train Alfie to it while he is still young! I guess if your bird associates a harness with going out and they like it. there shouldn't be such a problem with them fiddling and possibly escaping?

Good luck!

what am going to do to get shenzi used to the harness before i put it on her is wear it round my own neck cause when am on the computer she is sitting on my shoulder or the back of the seat so she should get used to it that way. shes not in her cage much so putting it beside it for me would just be a waste of time

Guest Crazy Jo

This is interesting, I have bought a harness for his Lordship but there are so many clips on it A - He will take out fingers off with the amount of time needed to get it on him and B- The bugger will open them all.

Just been looking at that aviator, far less complicated than the one I have got.

There is someone who posts here whos Grey wears a homemade harness but I cant think who, its different to the homemade one in the link, it looked almost as if it were made from rope.

I would so love to be able to take Frankie out into the garden for a good fly around.

Just bought an Aviator (thanks for the link Arwen and Frankie's Mum).

Normal harnesses are brill but this Aviator is a real step forward ..... so much easier to initially introduceto a parrot and the manufacturers have put a lot of thought into how the bird will move and fly while wearing it.

Thats what I thought too MMM, it looks great and apparnetly they shoyldn't be able to escape from it. I just ordered one yesterday, I emailed about postage, and they don't charge extra for shipping too UK!! I ordered one straight away before they changed their mind. It's unbelievable £10 for it being delivered, bet there business is doing well out of us at the moment.

np about the links :) i acctually got the link from somone on parrotlinks.com's web page :D

mines should be arriving somtim this week, as he got a wee bit muddled up in sending it to the right place :)

Thats for sharing that email with us, as you say definately worth buying now. You can still buy the harness for just $15 without the DVD which is what I did. I'm hoping it wont be too difficult to figure out. It's just such a bargain. Must say I am even tempted to buy another one just so I can have a spare.

my harnesses came today (finaly) :) and he included a ruff draft of the dvd for me :D

am pleased with them, they seem good quality but i think it will be a little difficult getting the collar part on small birds, no problm with bigger birds such as maccaws cause there heads as big as ur hand!

picts of the harness are on my photobucket, not tryed it on her yet tho she seems intrested!

Just had an email from Aviator, he said mine is on its way!!!! He also said he wants us to give feedback on the harness when we've tried it, especially any negative feedback, even if it's about the colour! It's so nice that there a place that are making these that are continually trying to improve themselves. Don't get that very much any more.So any problems please share!

Guest Crazy Jo

Well thats good isnt it, nice to know they are bothered if we like it or not. I sent Steve a link to the thread here so he can see what we are all about

ok dont laff....

i have been 'trying the harness out' on my hand to see how it fits. and to be honest dont think it rotates very well on small birds, on bigger birds they have more weight to 'push' it round, but on smaller birds its not the smoothest action! tho it might be different on, i'll have to wait an see.

if u get the dvd he shows u putting in on one of his scarlet macaws Crayola, all i can say is y didnt i want a scarlet before! shes amazing!