Neil

What foods are you feeding your parrots?

My lot get a bit of everything!   Good clean seed mix...  Tidymix and Versele Laga tropical mix.  Pellets, Nuts, Pulses, Homemade bird bread recipes and lots of fresh fruit and veg every day.

The greys get Bucktons Elite Parrot mix with the usual sides of soaked pulses, fruit n veg, cheese,    Cooked chicken etc. 

I can get the bucktons from the local farm stores. Ideal.  If they're out I order Johnston and Jeff fruity parrot mix from good old Northern Parrots. 

For a long time I fed Dusty on sprouted seed and legume mix (my own mix) but every breeding season she developes a skin condition, itchy skin, sores from scratching and infected sores...nasty. So the vet made me start feeding her pellets (vetafarm) to ensure she has sufficient protein and vitamins. I also give her a teaspoon of good quality bird seed (there must be some joy at mealtimes) a food spike with snowpeas (mange tout) and either corn or apple every day and for tea she gets fresh mixed vegies, sometimes a salad other times steamed. Once a week she gets half an egg, and every day a little of my tea...and she eats everything, but broccoli MUST be cooked or it hits the floor.