We have some that nest each year above the front door of our bungalow and we don't mind at all the pile of cr1923_ant_1.gifp that builds up on our doorstep :)

Last year they arrived early (April 19th) and were so successful that they (their offspring from last year I suspect) built another adjoining nest and young were reared there too .... we were thrilled.

This year sparrows (lovely birds, we like them almost as much and hugely enjoy them going from their nursery colony in our neighbour's hedge) have widened the hole into the housmartins' nest and taken it over.

So we bought one of these on good old eBay for just under £15:

_35_zpsmfa1qfqg.jpg

We are having it installed tomorrow which will be just in time as the birds are certainly due but not here and some years have been as late as May 3rd before turning up.

Am really looking forward to seeing these tiny (average 17g) birds that will have just travelled thousands of miles, across Europe then down to South Africa crossing the Sahara desert on the way.

They fly by day, finding food as they go, covering about 200 miles each day and sleeping on the wing at night - you have to respect a bird that can do that then rear two maybe three broods and go back in the autumn, then repeat annually all their lives which on average are 7 years.

More info here ....

http://www.birdsofbritain.co.uk/features/out-of-africa.asp

None here yet :( and they've never nested under our eaves which we certainly wouldn't mind.  I caught one of our neighbours about to power wash a part built nest off his house!  Lets say the nest stayed there  ::)   We do however have Mr and Mrs Dove nesting on the security light bracket again.  Just next to our bedroom window..... the 4.30am cooing is taking it a bit much though!

None here yet :( and they've never nested under our eaves which we certainly wouldn't mind.  I caught one of our neighbours about to power wash a part built nest off his house!  Lets say the nest stayed there  ::)   We do however have Mr and Mrs Dove nesting on the security light bracket again.  Just next to our bedroom window..... the 4.30am cooing is taking it a bit much though!

did you remind him that it would have been an offense under the wildlife & countryside Acts to have done so ?

Incidentally I only found this topic by accident  as it did not show when I did my usual of clicking "show new content "

I was wrong - the birds we say stayed around for two evenings and then moved on.

Wonder if we are on their flightpath as they come into the UK?

Since then we have three more lots do the same but no sign of 'ours' (yet).

I haven't seen any here yet either but I think its usually mid May before we do.  We've had one lot of blackbirds fledge already.  Mr and Mrs Dove have two babies in their nest.