Charlie&Lola

Home needed for female Vos - Urgent

Hi,  

Our 8yr old female Vos Lola needs to be rehomed.  She was always a loving bird with me, we had no issues with her at all.   She lives in the conservatory with her friend Charlie, a Goffin, but was out all day and put to bed at night.  

Over the last 6m or so she's become increasingly aggressive and territorial, resulting in us being attacked entering the room.  We're at our wits end with her and reluctantly she's been in her cage for the last two weeks as frankly, she's too dangerous to have loose.  She started by trying to bite our feet when we opened the door to go in,  but I could pick her up and put her in her cage without issue.  It then progressed to biting my fingers when I got close to her cage with her on my hand,  to attacking my hands when she went to step up.  I never grabbed her, always waited for her to step up onto my hand. We only have to walk by her cage now and she lunges and strikes, opening her door and feeding her the fresh food she has is a nightmare.  We can't interact with her in any way without her being aggressive.  I go up to her in the cage to talk to her and her eyes flash, and she strikes out at the bars.  I'm baffled at this change,  we've always been sweet and loving with her, nothing had changed in the way we took care of her.  

My husband has just come out of hospital with heart issues and just doesn't need the stress.  She's miserable in her cage and we feel terrible for having to confine her, so we've come to the conclusion that a new home is the best thing for everyone.

I did contact a charity on the internet called Birdline,  they promised to find a home but that was 2 months ago and we've heard nothing.

If someone can help to find her a new home, maybe even in an aviary if she'd be happier, we'd be very grateful. We live in Bucks. Thank you.

Diane

I'm so sorry to learn of your situation.

The forum is a lot quieter of late but we have many people browsing for info without leaving "their mark" .

Here's hoping someone with some proper advice will be along shortly.

Sad to hear about the change in her personality. Maybe send a message to Caron on here, she might be able to help. It would be awful if she ended up in the wrong hands.

Hi Diane, sorry to hear you're having problems with Lola.  It's obviously very upsetting when a formerly gentle bird appears to have turned into a flying Rottweiler and is attacking you and your husband for seemingly no reason. 

Wild female Eclectus are the dominant one of a pair and in the wild can spend up to eight months nesting and protecting the site.   Most female companion Eclectus will go through an aggressive stage as they become sexually mature and become protective of the "nest area" which includes their cage With consistent love and guidance from the owner, this stage does pass and the female Eclectus will revert to a loving companion.

There are steps you can take to minimise this and there are forums such as Land of Vos dedicated to all things Eclectus and also Facebook groups with the same purpose.  I'm attaching a link here which you might find useful to read through and perhaps try some of the suggestions for dealing with Lola's aggression.  Hopefully, if it can be rectified or lessened you might be able to reconsider having to rehome her.  http://eclectusparrots.net/aggression.html

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Caron:  The link you sent was very interesting, thank you for that.  It rang many bells particularly the dark corners (which we've blocked where we can)  and the newspaper shredding.  We've always used newspaper for the bottom tray of their cages (the seed catcher bottom not the cage bottom if that makes sense) and she can often be found in that tray digging around and scratching it up.

She and Charlie our male Goffin live together (separate cages) in our conservatory which is heated in winter and air conditioned in summer.  They are out of their cages all day from 7 - 7, have toys in their cages and my husband made a big play stand for them which they use a lot.  They both have fresh food every day, seed as a treat a couple of times a week and pellets always in their bowls.  They get along very well, and before she was confined to barracks have been very affectionate with each other, preening and rubbing.  I'm sure this doesn't help the situation at all but we can't separate them as we have nowhere else they can go.

I can change her food and the times she's covered, she's never had boxes to play in.  We can also eliminate the newspaper.  Other than that I'm not sure what else we can do but I'll give it a go.  She's always been the easier bird of the two, more placid and easygoing than Charlie, and rehoming really would be the last resort, but I'm so tired of being attacked and bitten when I attempt to interact with her.

Very understandable - no one wants to be bitten and Eclectus beaks can hurt a lot!   I can also empathise with how sad it must make you feel having to keep her in her cage to avoid the attacks. 

I know of a few people who have had great success with a supplement called R-Leaves for hormonal birds. http://www.meadowsah.com/home/rleaves.html  It might be worth trying.  Camomile tea is also known for it's calming effect and is perfectly safe to offer.

I really do hope you have some improvement with Lola's behaviour and can manage to keep her as that would obviously be the happiest outcome for all of you.  Please do keep me posted on how you are getting along and don't hesitate to get in touch with me if I can offer any more help.  My charity is Wings of Hope Bird Sanctuary and we are based in North Yorkshire.