Hi guys sorry I not been on for ages.

I had some sad news this week I lost Alfie to a heart attack on Saturday and Bob to kidney failure last night.

The vets says I should think about changing willow a grey and charlie a sennie to a pellet diet.

My question is which one?

Please help!

there's a lot of truth in what Roz has said  about Vet's & pellets , it's also lazy vetting !

However seed +  fruit  & Veg alone may not provide a complete nutrition & I understand that Loro Parc include  pellets as part of their birds diets

I use nutrilux pellets for that purpose ,

What a lot of vets were reccomending were Buctons complete diets , and many struggling with birds that plucked initially found such diets beneficial . However after a period of several months the birds reverted & most found that pellets alone were no longer sufficient , and that the birds need the distraction of hulling seed and switched to combination diets (pellets + natural )

You could try a combination of pellets, a low sunflower seed mix and plenty of fresh veggies/fruit. There are all sorts of dried berry mixes, vegetables and fruit you can buy off the internet - I use Rob Harvey and get all sorts of bits to mix in with my bird's diet.

Very sorry that you have lost Alfie and Bob. Hope you are OK.

So sorry you lost Alfie and Bob.

I tried my caique on Harrison's pellets but he wouldn't eat them. I tried one and I'm not surprised he didn't like them! When we lived in America I fed him on Roudybush pellets, he seems to like them and they don't taste as bad to me! Since we moved back I have shipped some from America, as unfortunately they aren't sold here, but this means they are very expensive to get. I'm thinking of trying a different type so would also be interested in hearing which ones other people use. I was thinking of trying the zupreem natural or the tropican ones. 

I like giving him pellets as he can have a bowl of them in the cage all the time so he always has something available but I don't have to worry about how much he is eating like I would with seed. He gets fresh fruit and vegetables everyday so he does get variety, and I give him some seed a couple times a week,  

Often the pelleted diets the vets talk about are Harrison... I've tried it, didn't like it, neither did the birds... i thought it was

extremely expensive to line the bin with.

I've spoken to a couple of guys in the food business and they'll admitted that seed diets offer little nutritional value,

and that doesn't mean to dismiss them completely.   Like everything in life, you need balance.  Some pellets, some seed

and lots of fruit and veg.  Sometimes they are fed mutually exclusive as birds are like kids at a party... all the naughty stuff 

gets eaten first (peanut kernels and sunflower seeds).  Peanuts and Sunflower seeds prohibit the absorption of calcium in birds,

and humans too, if you eat them... has little impact on humans, but major on birds that require calcium.

This is ideal, as it's low, very low in both peanut kernels and sunflower seed:

Johnston & Jeff Low Sunflower Diet:

http://www.northernparrots.com/johnston-and-jeff-low-sunflower-diet-for-african-greys-prod563180a/

and also get: Kaytee Exact Rainbow Pellet diet:

http://www.northernparrots.com/kaytee-exact-rainbow-complete-food-for-parrots-and-conures-prod577121a/

Very sad news, so sorry to hear what's happened to you and your birdies. 

My two naughties won't eat parrot food at all, they have fresh fruit, veggies, mixed nuts, and as I think it was Milli said you can buy all sorts of dried fruit and bits now that we never used to have to add to a pellet diet if you find one you like.  Johnson Jeff my friend uses and is very impressed with it, she bred one of ours and will only use what she considers good quality.  Interesting snippet about the calcium absorption and peanuts, I didn't know that but ours don't eat much peanut, they just like cracking the shells most of the time. 

Edited by FORDHAY