pidgee's mummy

rehoming Pidgee, african grey parrot, 10 years old

we need to find Pidgee a new forever home.  can anyone help?  We will be extremly sad to say goodbye and will only let her go once we have satisfied ourselves completely that the new owner can give her a better life than us, but with two children now we just feel we can't give her the attention she needs and life has become too stressful trying to keep the children and Pidgee happy and trying to keep the house clean with two children under two as well as Pidgee.  Pidgee needs to go to someone without children or with much older children perhaps.  And it needs to be local so we can visit them and get to know them and satisfy ourselves that they can give Pidgee the love and attention she needs and deserves.  Does anyone have any advice as to how to find Pidgee the perfect new forever home please..?

Sorry you have had to make this decision. I know exactly how stressful it is with young children and parrots. I have Louis an African Grey who doesn't get as much attention as he deserves. My children are 3 and a half, and just over a year. I feel that since my eldest has started nursery (just the free 15 hours) that things are calming down a lot and I can keep on top of the housework and the parrot care. I don't think my grey would be happy anywhere else - have even considered getting another grey for him to be pals with - but you can't guarentee parrot friendship! got to go - youngest not well and just woke up crying. PM me if you fancy a chat - you must be feeling gutted having to decide this. Sam xx

Thank you Sam, will pm you :) we took pidgee to a prospective new home on Saturday but ended up coming home with her again! We love her so much even though she stresses us out! But the lady who we nearly rehomed her wih gave us lots of useful advice which we are going to follow and hope it helps and means we can keep her, if not we may look into finding someone to foster her for a couple of years, as this lady suggested. Xx

When i first read this, my first thought went back to the time well before i got a grey.. one of the things i've read is that a parrot can have on average 4-5 homes during it's life.

Also speaking to rescues i know, they're having to turn birds away and the fosterer's they have are max'd out... even talk of euthanasia for unwanted parrots now. 

Who's to say within a year or so, Pidgee is on his travels from home to home, rescue to rescue..... the poor thing won't know what's hit him, no more stability.. it might not be so, the probability based on what i hear and know, doesn't side with stability.

Knowing greys, they thriving on chaos (lots of activity) in the home that children bring... it's fun to them.. lots of stimulation.. as they do have the learning abilities of a 3-4 year old.

Factoring the longevity of parrots compared to having children is what i call a temporary state, as they'll grow up so quickly, and they won't be small children for long.

From my own experiences of a greys, you don't have to give it a lot of interaction, as long as they are around and near you (but not ignored), they're great observers and get their simulation from being around you.

Having children and pets grow up together is also a great thing.... when your children are adults, Pidgee will still be around with possibly many more years ahead of him.

Even though things are in a bit of a dip for him now, it's a temporary state and I honestly believe the best home for Pidgee is yours... as you're his life, you're his world.

That's a really good post parrotalert, agree 100 %.

I've also seen recently adverts posted from people who have rehomed their birds and very much regret it. Looking for the birds years later, lost touch with the people who had them or find they have been sold on again. 

Hi, did you manage to keep Pidgee?  I do hope so, I had a beautiful Cockatoo as a rehome, I regret it now and although at the time it was sooo important to think of the birds immediate welfare things turned around and our much loved birdie would still be here.  Having said that he went to a home where he had another of his own kind where the partner cockatoo had passed away so it all worked out very well for birdie.  I hope whatever the outcome it goes well for Pidgee and know you only considered this to be loving and kind.