Milli

Very smelly Poop

Hello - long time no see/talk!

A couple of the caiques have recently been having some awful smelling poops - smells cheesy/sicky :-\ . Thought at first too much dairy produce as they do get a lot of treats. So eliminated yoghut, cheese and toast with marg. All 5 of them are now on a diet of cooked veggies, fruit, brown nutty bread toast and small ammount of seed in morning. Dish of seed in evening with more fruit. No table food (it is killing me, they beg...). Problem still persisting and has been going on for about 3 weeks.

Changes in environment - rabbits have been bought into conservatory for the winter due to their hutches going mouldy outside. Would this effect the caiques? They only have a fly round in there for morning and are bought back into lounge just after lunch as conservatory is getting far too cold and damp for them. They also sleep in the lounge now in their cages to keep snuggly.

Anyone with any ideas? Yeast infection? Bacterial infection? Am I going to have to take 5 caiques to the vet? I am 37 weeks pregnant today and feel contractions coming on at the thought of it ;) . Feel guilty as well as the poor buggers have been a bit neglected when it comes to time with me due to one persistant toddler demanding attention and with me being knackered.

Any help greatfully appreciated. Also have a massive pile of ironing if anyone fancys coming round and doing it! ;D

Hello - long time no see/talk!

A couple of the caiques have recently been having some awful smelling poops - smells cheesy/sicky :-\ . Thought at first too much dairy produce as they do get a lot of treats. So eliminated yoghut, cheese and toast with marg. All 5 of them are now on a diet of cooked veggies, fruit, brown nutty bread toast and small ammount of seed in morning. Dish of seed in evening with more fruit. No table food (it is killing me, they beg...). Problem still persisting and has been going on for about 3 weeks.

Changes in environment - rabbits have been bought into conservatory for the winter due to their hutches going mouldy outside. Would this effect the caiques? They only have a fly round in there for morning and are bought back into lounge just after lunch as conservatory is getting far too cold and damp for them. They also sleep in the lounge now in their cages to keep snuggly.

Anyone with any ideas? Yeast infection? Bacterial infection? Am I going to have to take 5 caiques to the vet? I am 37 weeks pregnant today and feel contractions coming on at the thought of it ;) . Feel guilty as well as the poor buggers have been a bit neglected when it comes to time with me due to one persistant toddler demanding attention and with me being knackered.

Any help greatfully appreciated. Also have a massive pile of ironing if anyone fancys coming round and doing it! ;D

Are the offending birds female by any chance ?  If so it could be that they are about  ready to use nest boxes !  Stinky poo can occur with some but not all female psittacines just before egg laying and has a disinctive odour & appearance which once smelt & seen is easily recognised . If that is the case have fun !

One of the smelly poopers is female - the other is male. There is some definate nesting behaviour going on at the moment however between said male smelly pooper and unsexed other 'friend' (presumed female but not known for sure) - paper chewing, seeing off other birds, strange snuffling noises and some mounting :-[ .

Also should add - none of the birds displaying any other 'poorly' symptoms - all active, eating well, flying about and making lots of noise.

I have two greys and the males poo is the same heavy sickly smell, he seems perfectly normal but I have noticed its getting stronger? I live in France and no Avian vet for about 200 miles, how could I get a poo check done, any help most appreciated and so glad the sites back again!

When you need Vet help any Vet is better than no help . Talk to your local Vet or phone the nearest Avian vet & talk to them . |Explain about the droppings & ask how best to get them tested . All you need is a sterile container for fresh  droppings from each of the birds requiring testing , a postal packet & the address of a suitable Testing Laboratory .