Gemstone

poicephalus parrots

Seeing the post on cape parrots made me think, what's happend to the other pociephalus parrots such as Meyers, Jardines, ruppells and red bellied parrots?  You still see a fair few Senegals about but the others are alot rarer to see in the classifed adverts.

That's a shame. I missed out on buying a Ruppells some years ago as I was given another bird. I would have liked a Ruppells or Meyers parrot.

I forgot there are brown headed parrots as well, never see them for sale either.  I notice on preloved there's someone up in Preston trying to sell his meyers cock bird or buy a hen so he can pair them up. The ad's been on for ages, must be a shortage of hens.

Meyers are amazing little parrots - I'm torn between wishing they were more common, as they seem to deal with life in captivity slightly better than many other parrots and if people bought pois instead of Greys and cockatoos, fewer parrots might end up on the rehoming circle, and hoping they never become too common, as they would surely eventually suffer from overbreeding like the Greys do.

There's a breeder in Norfolk who breeds Meyers, Brownheaded, and Senegals.

When we got Luna I remember hearing/reading that hens were rarer - apparently Meyer's chicks are predominantly male? Don't know if there's any truth to it.

Edited by ria

If UK breeders produce parent-reared Poicephalus rather than HR everything then there could be a reasonable hope of a stable population in the UK. Brown-heads were never that popular, regarded as 'dull' birds, but there are still a few around.

There is one parent reared DNA sexed male senegal for sale on preloved in the Midlands, they have been for sale for ages now just one left. I don't think that advert will get the right audience needs to go on a site breeders are more likley to use.

Even some years ago, talking about 7 or 8 years ago now Ruppells were hard to come by. My breeder friend had to get an imported hen from safari select to pair up with her cock bird, think he came from the stafford show.  She has some what would be rare breeding birds now including dusky pi's, whoever bought up all her breeding birds when she passed away probably got a bargain.  Safari select used to import some birds from a breeding place in south africa I think, don;t know if they still do or if it's not allowed now.   She had a breeder friend who used to buy birds from a place called Ladydells?  They had to pack up when the import ban came in and turn to selling something else.

I spoke to a friend of mine over the weekend who recently put a male Senegal in an aviary with a female Meyer for companionship, to find over the weekend she had laid eggs ???

Not at all what he was intending, but probably the eggs will be infertile.

Had 2 young fuscicollis hatch over a week ago. Looked OK when I had a chance to check them yesterday.

The other pr have eggs due to hatch, unable to check as yet.

Hope they will be OK with this colder weather we have been forecast.

Found an adled egg thrown out today, sure I heard a little squeak coming from the nest box too. So think at least one has hatched.

I dare not look as the parents are always in the box when they hear me and are very nervous. Will have to leave it for a while yet.