fannyann

Feeling really stressed.

I,ll try and keep this brief.

Couple of years ago I sold a caique to an American couple in the uk( the guy was in the American Air Force stationed in the uk)

They assured me that when they went back to America then the caique would go with them.

In February/march they put the shipping in the hands of a professional animal shipping company, however the papers weren't quite ready when the couple returned to the states in May so the caique came to me for a couple of weeks.

I kept contacting the shipping company and nothing appeared to be happening! Even though they had been paid in full! I think it was in the too difficult box, so it was decided that the best course of action was to get another shipping company on the case.

The new company has been good, and the caique is due to fly on Tuesday, I hope

This has been the most difficult thing I have ever done! Never again.

I don't get the cities export until Monday! The bird fly,s on Tuesday.

The bird had his vet check today, I got there and my vet asked me or the paperwork, well defra should have sent it to her! Panic, it arrived as I was leaving! However defra had made a presumption that I would be meeting the bird of the airplane, wrong, ! They shouldn't have presumed as they put the wrong details on the cert.they got apiece of my mind! Altered with defras consent, lots of stamps etc.Then off to lincoln to my nearest defra office to get it countersigned.

As if that wasn't enough I sent the paperwork to customs house tonight and they aren't happy with the details on the airway bill, it is now fri eve. That isn't going to get changed till Monday.

I hope things go smoother next week.

I will keep you informed, this seems to be a nightmare from beginning to end.

To top it off, America has just about shut all their gov dept, this bird has to go into quarantine , plus if he doesn't go next week then the America paperwork runs out on the 21st and she will have to reapply by which time the uk paperwork will have expired.

No one said it would be easy but this is ridiculous .

Hope it is a happy ending

Bloody hell Mairi I thought he'd have been happily settled by now back with his owners.

I have to say I always feel sorry for them being shut in the hold on flights - maybe I'm a bit of a softie :)

Hope it goes OK for you and little Avery.

he only came here for a couple of weeks back in May.

Noticed that ..dare I laugh?

Really admire that you have done this, and feel sorry for the owners bet they did not think or imagine it would stretch out like this either.

Good Luck to you all.X

How come the owners aren't doing the running around? Sounds like he's travelling without the owners on the same plane? Maybe it was best if he was rehomed with someone in this country,  I can think of someone  who would give him a good home  if she was interested. If they still want a parrot get one in the States, his welfare comes first.  If they are given some sort of refund, seems fair.

This little guy gas been their much loved pet for 2 years.

It was never their intention to leave him behind in the uk, if it had been I would never have let them have him 2 years ago.

To be fair the owners put the shipping in the hands of a professional shipping company well before they left for the USA in May.

The shipping company turned out to be pants! Even though they had awards for excellence etc had been running for 30 years.

The owner obtained all the necessary paperwork in the states but unfortunately it turned out that the original shippers had applied for nothing!

The new company have been first class but proof will be in the pudding tomorrow when and if he fly,s.

And to top it all today, tying to send some last minute paperwork that has just been received this morning to find out it is " Columbus Day" in America, it's a bank holiday!

No one said this was gonna be easy

I was actually just wondering about this little caique the other day. I exchanged some PMs with the owner when she was first starting the process as I've been through it and moved my caique from the UK to the US in 2011. I understand the stress, and we had some issues along the way too. I'm sad to hear they had problems with the first company, which I believe is the one I used. Although they dealt with my caique, Indy, fine, I did find them very rude on the phone, and later found out the local zoo had used them and had a lot of problems too. Although I did take care of pretty much all the permits, arranging quarantine, customs etc. myself, the company only handled the flights and airport stuff at Gatwick.

This caique will be fine once he's on a plane. Indy went through it all, and after he finished quarantine in Miami, the customs broker flew him to me in Raleigh. I picked him up and he was whistling away in his crate, and once in his new home hopped straight out of the crate and it was as though nothing had happened. He clearly has owners who love him very much and will anything for him, so I'm sure he is best with them, in what is clearly a real forever home, since they (and Mairi) are prepared to go through such a tough process!

As it now turns out I am moving permanently back to the UK in a few months, so am going through the whole process again. So I'm waiting on a US export CITES permit which is delayed with the shutdown.

I have my fingers crossed for you all.

Thank you so much Indy, it's good to hear that they are ok when they come out of the other end,

It really is a worry.

After quarantine he has a flight to Nebraska , I have put a note in for quarantine , and a toy , and his snuggle hut, I don't know if they will allow it or not.

How did you find the quarantine people ?

Yeah I didn't send any of toys or his snuggle hut, but I probably could have done, its certainly worth a try. 

Initially before I sent Indy I had a little trouble getting clear information from the guy in charge of bird quarantine at Miami, and also the customs broker too, as neither spoke English as a first language, so while I got quick replies to my emailed questions I didn't always get clear answers (they never picked up the phone either). 

I emailed the quarantine guy the day after Indy arrived, and he let me know Indy was doing fine. Then a wk later I got an email just asking what his name was, so I'm pretty sure they must have been talking and interacting with him. 

Actually a few months ago I read Mira Tweti's book 'Of parrots and people' and there's a part where she writes about visiting San Diego's bird quarantine station, and reading that made me feel much better about the whole thing, as before I really knew nothing about what the quarantine centre was like. I can't remember exactly what she writes but its along the lines of how the people there looking after the birds were animal people would clearly loved birds, and at San Diego they apparently have a few long term residents, who were shipped in and then either never got the correct paperwork/owners never claimed them and the staff look after them like pets. I just found it reassuring that it hadn't been a completely horrible process for Indy. Not that he seemed fazed by any of it anyway.

Edited by Indy

Hopefully Avery will finally be home in about a week, he has an internal flight in the us to do to Nebraska so his journey will soon be over.

His owners have been true to their word when I sold them this little guy, that he would be going home with them. Hopefully he will soon be settled back with them.