Sign in to follow this  
john212

Moving to London: problems with landlords?

Hello everybody;

I'm new to this forum so I'll use this message also to introduce myself.

I've an almost 10 years old cockatiel and I'm now planning to move to London. I sometime let him fly, when I'm with him, inside the room and I spend some time with him when changing his seeds and water. Unfortunately when I took him I didn't used him to eat also fruit and vegetables but I'd like to make another try as I manage to move cause for now I do give him vitamins especially for the winter.

Now, my main doubt about moving to London is related to the fact that I saw many announcements for apartments/flats that states "no pets" and even if I'm been told that there should be fewer problems with a (caged) bird, I'd like to hear from the one of you living in London, some direct experience.

I hope it won't take me months to find a place where I can keep him with me. He is not noisy also cause last year he lost a bit his "voice" after being sick for a period (had to treat him with antibiotics)

Please let me know what do you think / share you experience. Thanks a lot.

Bye,

John.

Birds are not normally counted as pets like cats and dogs, A cockatiel is so small and not noisy I can not see why there would be a problem.

Welcome to the forum.  :D

Hi John and welcome to you and your little cockatiel.

I am afraid that it is very much down to individual landlords and letting agents.

And is best if you want to make sure, that you ask each individual person or agent who is renting their property out, if they accept pets.

Good Luck with your search.

Our cockatiel likes a little piece of broccoli wedged in the cage bars or in a clothes peg. He loves to peck it to pieces :)

Wen we bought our first parrot, the landlady was happy to let us. And when we moved, none of the properties we looked at had anything against the tenants having parrots (even though the ads all stated no pets).

Our current tenancy agreement says "no pets", and then we've got separate letters allowing us to have the parrots, stating that we're liable for any damage they might cause etc (which we obviously would have been either way).

So well worth asking, they might say it's no problem! :)

Hi!

Thank you all for your answers!! From what I've understood it is really a matter of finding the right landlord and I'm happy that it is more easy for a cockatiel than for a pet like a dog or a cat.

Also I'm coming from abroad EU and I hope there won't be any problems at the customs nor any quarantine period; this is the answer I've got from defra.gov.uk:

The import requirements for importing pet birds from other EU Member

States, Andorra, Liechtenstein, Monaco, Norway, San Marino, Switzerland

and the Vatican City can be found in Importer Information Note (IIN)

PBEU/1, as found through the link below;

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animal-trade/imports-non-eu/iins/live-animals/iins-birds/iin-pbeu-1/

This states that up to five pet birds may be imported per person from

other EU Member States, and other countries as listed in point (i),

without any additional requirements or restrictions, provided they are

accompanied on their journey to the UK and are not intended to

trade/re-sale. No certification or declaration is required unless there

are additional restrictions in place due to a disease outbreak.

So I should be fine but if you have more information on this topic please let me know! :)

Thanks.

bye,

John.

If it's from within the EU, it should be fine bringing them into the UK. However, the country you're travelling from might have specific rules about them leaving the country? Probably not, but worth checking. How are you travelling? Is very difficult (impossible?) to find an airline that will allow you to take them as carry on - they'll probably need to be in the cargo (the temperature controlled part, of course). If you go by ferry, they usually don't allow birds in the cabins so you'd have to leave them in the car for the duration of the journey. Unsure about trains - I think I remember reading that pets aren't allowed, but unsure what that mean for parrots.

Also, the above is what I gleaned when I looked into if there'd be any issues bringing ours from the UK to Sweden, so the info might have changed, or I might have misunderstood, or missed stuff. :)

If it's from within the EU, it should be fine bringing them into the UK. However, the country you're travelling from might have specific rules about them leaving the country? Probably not, but worth checking. How are you travelling? [... ] f you go by ferry, they usually don't allow birds in the cabins so you'd have to leave them in the car for the duration of the journey.

Hello,

thanks for your answer. About leaving my country, there shouldn't be any problem as there are no check at all until the UK border.

I was thinking of travelling by car cause by train and flight it is very difficult (they don't generally allow pets). While by car the problem would be to go through the English Channel by car (on a train if I'm right) or by ferry. If I'd go to ferry I'd have to stay in the car with him I guess.. while if I go on the channel tunnel I hope there is no pollution / smog or heavy noise that can "intoxicate" / scary him.

What do you think?

Thanks.

bye,

John.

Hi

Some ferry companies do not allow pets and others do but will not allow you to stay in the car decks with your pet. That area is closed off while traveling for safety and theft/security reasons.

You will have to check with individual ferry companies.

Some have pet areas?

Eurotunnel you can stay with your pets in the car, it says on their site.

http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/pets/

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page there is a frequently asked questions bit for pets.

Also it takes 35 minutes in the tunnel, a short journey, and the air is apparently clean..

It is best to call the companies and ask in person, do not rely on the sites.

As information can change.

Your cockatiel looks very pretty. Good luck.

A friend of mine used to take her CAG when they went to Spain.  They were allowed to take him in his travel cage to their cabin.  This followed a letter from the vet.

Hello there,

just a quick update: I moved in London at the end of March and then at the end of May rented a car and went to Italy and back with my cockatiel ;-) It has been a long journey but we made it ;)

We had no problems with the landlord and I've found also a good vet.

bye,

John.

That's great news! Whereabouts in London are you? Did you do the journey by ferry or Eurostar?

I've thought about going to France with my 3 but it'd have to be Eurostar cos I couldn't face leaving them in the car without me for the journey.