Sign in to follow this  
SurreyParrots

Starting Breeding Full Time

Hello, i currently own two lovely African Grey parrots (Lago and Jasmine, kids loved Disney but they have now flown the nest) the last 3 years they have started to bred with great success. I also have a friend who wants to sell their African Grey's who has been breeding as a hobby for the past few years. I have a medium sized aviary at the end of my garden which can house all four parrots but i need to know who i am required to tell that i am breeding, as i would like to start my own business and start getting the paperwork done before i look into buying any more parrots, and upgrading my aviary (or even getting a new one). I don't want some one knocking on my door and taking them away.

Do i need to register with DEFRA, local concil or anyone like that as the information on the internet is very vague and i am not the most computer iterate person out there (my son popped round to help me register on this site).

Thank You

You need no official permission to breed African Greys as a 'hobby' apart from possible planning considerations regarding the aviary. If you plan to do it as a registered business you may need a Pet Shop license from your local council