Sign in to follow this  
blee

hagen lifetime granules

i normally buy the kaytee exact pellets (i feed my guys 50% JJ seed mix and 50% pellet along with their fruit and veg) but the hagen granules are a lot cheaper so thinking of switching over i was wondering if anyone had pro's/con's to hagen? i cant seem to find much info online about it, does it have the same nutritional value? or is it a case of "you get what you pay for"?

it is for a grey, amazons and bare-eyed too, any information/opinions would be gratefully appreciated.

Hi blee, did you mean a like for like comparison by someone?

Or just to compare the ingredients and analysis?

All you can do is go through the ingredients and see if there is anything that you don't like?

I just looked...hard work!!

The crude protein and fats and fibre are different.

Is this the hagen product you meant?

http://uk.hagen.com/Bird/Nutrition/Extruded/80532

And is this the Kaytee one?

http://kaytee.com/products/exact-original-parrot-conure-27-oz.php

I wish they would all lay out everything the same way and have percentages of ALL ingredients, vits and minerals etc

If I do a comparison, I list everything then cross off what is common to both and see what is left that I have to look up :D

hi thank you for your reply! sorry i should of thought to put the links on, yes thats the ones.  i just couldnt find much nutritional info on the Hagen granules so wondered if anyone knew how good/bad it was or if i would be best just sticking to the kaytee. as silly as it sounds i am thinking because it is a lot cheaper is it inferior to the kaytee? on the other hand can i be saving some pennies  ;)

your right it would be so much easier if all the companies done it the same and that way we could make better comparisons but i guess that wouldnt be good marketing for some companies, whos products are not so good!

Sorry blee I was not sure if you were looking for the ingredients and analysis list on the Hagen.

When I put that link on the page I copied and pasted was to the ingredients list etc.

But now when I just clicked on it, it took me to the first page. The bit with the "specs" has all the ingredients and analysis.  you have to click on the "specs" bit to see .

Sorry. And good luck I hope you can get more feedback.

Hi Blee, I have quite a large and mixed flock and like to try new pellets and vary the seed mixes to offer alongside their fresh foods  I recently bought Hagen lifetime granules and they received a bit of a mixed reception with my birds.  They are very small pellets and have a lovely fruity smell...  My African Greys both loved them, as, surprisingly given the small size, did two of my B&G Macaws.  Most of the other birds weren't overly enthusiastic about them, although in fairness, they will usually go for the fresh food and nuts, seeds etc before their

pellet bowl anyway.

i feed all mine seed and pellets all diffrent ones mine are so fussy lol

my grey has the hagens pelletts but not the granules she has the sticks and loves them a lot bigger and she seems to be doing well on them along with her seed and fresh stuff

well i think i will give them a try and see how they go if for nothing else but a little change, karen my guys arent too bad the amazons will eat anything, the grey a bit more fussy but still pretty good and i have not long rescued my too' so she is a bit of a seed junkie at the moment but im working on that! the pellets are always the last thing to be eaten with my lot to like yours Caron they will eat their fruit and veg first especialy if its pomegranite :-)

i feed all mine seed and pellets all different ones mine are so fussy lol

Karen I can remember you searching the planet for a certain pellet for a certain little bird ;D

Good Luck with them blee, hope you will drop back and give some feedback on what you think and how your birds like them...or not  ;)

Another opinion is always useful for people searching like you had to :)

oh they smell absolutly lovely! i can sniff them all day  :o

well my guys have been eating (or i should really say not eating) them for a week now and so far none of them are eating the granules they fall to the bottom of the feeding dishes and thats where they stay! and they dont go near if a soften them with warm water but its still early days so i will keep trying them.

oh they smell absolutly lovely! i can sniff them all day

:DWorth getting some from that recommendation then blee.

Don't know if it would help, but maybe put them separate?

Try a small dish with a few in or something.

Or only put a very little bit of their seed mix in and some pellets in, you can always give them a bit more later.

They won't try them if they have all their usual pile of seed to fill up on.

Perhaps if you played around a bit made out they are some kind of special treat, limit them at first.

The one that eats pellets here I leave her harrisons on the corner of the dining table ;D

She sits there saying hello over and over if I forget to put them there.

oh they do smell heavenly infact so good i have to admit i did try a few  :-[ but surprisingly they did not taste of anything!

i am going to perserver and hopfully they will come around i will try and put a small amount in the dish and see how they get on but i worry about them going hungry.  should i just offer the dish for a small amount of time and then give them their seed and/or veg? or should i give them the pellets in the morning allong with fruit/veg and only seed in the evening?

i have been keeping parrots for a long time so the questions proberly sound daft but i fear both my self and the birds have become "stuck in our ways" when it comes to feeding habits  :-\

should i just offer the dish for a small amount of time and then give them their seed and/or veg? or should i give them the pellets in the morning allong with fruit/veg and only seed in the evening?

Sounds a good idea what i do with mine

i have been keeping parrots for a long time so the questions proberly sound daft but i fear both my self and the birds have become "stuck in our ways" when it comes to feeding habits  :-\

Yes guilty i think we all should rethink now and again :-[

have to say it took mine along time to accept the complete mix aswell maybe if you have success with the granules try the sticks they are much bigger

they do smell nice though to me they smell like bubble gum lol

i have not saw the sticks can you get them off scarlets aswell? i will have a look! i will give it a while longer to see if they will take to them but so far they are having none of it!

i was trying to think what they smelt like, your right its like a fruity bubble gum they really smell lovely so i hope they take to them just so i can smell it  :-[

yes blee scarlett sells them they are called hagen parrot biscuits

i also love the smell of them infact a few people who have visited have said why do you feed them bubble gum lol