Sign in to follow this  
stretchy

sharing food with parrots

I seem to share all my food with my lot. Even my cereal but I do draw the line at Mabel paddling in the cereal bowl!

I don't think we can catch anything from birds in this way. Dander is the more usual problem area.

I believe it is more of a problem the other way around, with humans saliva apparently having much more harmful bacteria for the birds to catch something from, rather than viruses like common colds etc.

So perhaps when your children share stuff they could  give them a slice rather than a bite, or from the opposite side of (for example) an apple or break off a piece.

The only disease that is transferable to humans I can think of is Psittacosis.

Which is not that common? But is treatable.

It is always nice to share :)

I edit to say that it is a potential problem, not that every bit of spit is going to kill your bird, but from what I have read and decided, I err on the cautious side on this one ;)

But

I edit to say that it is a potential problem, not that every bit of spit is going to kill your bird, but from what I have read and decided, I err on the cautious side on this one ;)

Agree Rubytoo

Obviously no crisps or chocolate or advocado salt or sugar or milk. Otherwise a little bit of what you are having makes them feel included in the family :-*

Never mind hand the damned food over - mine sort of flock on-mass and only leave when the plate is empty. Even poor Arthur, my 16 month old has to 'share'  - if he is seen eating in his high chair the caiques will fly over and sit on the front of the tray till he hands some over (or quickly ****** it out of his hands when he is preoccupied). Louis is a little more refined and will sort of loiter while Arthur eats a yogurt - once empty pot is then Louis' - he will then carefully dismantle and eat the remnants. None of them go hungry ::).

Never mind hand the damned food over - mine sort of flock on-mass and only leave when the plate is empty. Even poor Arthur, my 16 month old has to 'share'  - if he is seen eating in his high chair the caiques will fly over and sit on the front of the tray till he hands some over (or quickly ****** it out of his hands when he is preoccupied). Louis is a little more refined and will sort of loiter while Arthur eats a yogurt - once empty pot is then Louis' - he will then carefully dismantle and eat the remnants. None of them go hungry ::).

Sounds great fun in our house ;D ;D