Sign in to follow this  
ginjenny

hi there - new amazon mom...

Hi there all,

My name is Jenny and im to Tilly (senegal, 12 months) Paulie (conure, 4 months) and our newest addition to our family since weds night is Bobby my 15 week old Blue fronted Amazon.

Tilly and Paulie are silly tame I have no problems at all with these babies they are very well behaived and love the whole family.

Though i have not to much knoledge on parrots and am learning quite quickly i really am just getting to know Bobby and would appreicate any tips you could give.

He is quite shy at the moment but will venture on to my arm and say 'hello and alright' to me, but growls when i try to stroke him. Is it a growl or does he mean something else? He hasn't attempted to bite me which confuses me regarding the growl.

Also Tilly and paulie are male and female and do love each other very much always around the house playing, cuddling and pruning each other, as they are not both parrots will they ever try to mate and sucseed if so how do i keep them apart if they do? it would really upsett Paulie specialy if i have to seperate them at all.

Any help or guidence would be greatly appreiciated.

Thanks again

Jenny, Tilly, Paulie and bobby xxxx

Welcome and good luck with your new pal.  You are probably moving a bit fast with him - probably best not to stroke him until he's developed more trust in you.  Some parrots never like to be stroked in any case; this shouldn't be seen as a problem.

Hi and welcome.

How lovely that Tilly and Paulie are best buddies.

What kind of conure is Paulie.  His name makes me think of the film.

As Animalia said, don't worry about them even if they do try to mate... ;D

Even though Bobby is friendly, just give him a bit more time to trust your hands.

Having him since Wednesday is not very long.

If you have a problem with this, or want more advice about it,  post in the "contact info help" section where it will be more easily seen.

Give as much info as you can about how you approach his head and what happens exactly.

Say if he is growling as you approach his head or if it is after etc.

Good Luck :)

Hi and welcome to the forum, i have a caique who is friendly (on the whole) but will not let you stroke him he will sit and let us preen him but will nip is you try to stroke him.  Not all birds like being touched on their back

hi and thank you all for your advise, i proberly am expecting to much too soon.... I just thought that like my other babies i should be hands on straight away as they both have turned out to be perfect babies, but i guess all birds are different, definatly different charractors anyhow.

Finding it hard to write as Paulie is trying to eat my keyboard and rolling down my front trying to get my attention, hes soo naughty but lovely....little bugger! lol

(p.s sorry about my spellings)

paulie is a pinapple conure - rubytoo