Sign in to follow this  
spike65

Just Moved

Hi, please can anyone help me. We have just moved , 4 weeks before I took my Cockatoo (Spike) to work as it was warm and he was very happy with lots of attention. We have been in our new house for 8 weeks now and Spike does nothing but screech. He gets attention at home but now when we leave the room and hes alone he will shout till someone walks back in.Quite often he just shouts while we are with him watching tv. I know he probably is looking for more attention as when we sit near him he stops.

Any ideas as to what I can do ! x

hi, i read your old posts , you have has spike for about 10 years, so you must give yourself a HUGE pat on the back for that as many cockatooos ey have had many many homes by the time they are 10.

it would seem the move has really unsettled him , did he go to work with you all time before you moved and now is he home alone in the day time. ??

he is quite when you are near him, so i would gradually move further away from him if that is possible, rather then sitting next to him. do this over a lengthy period, then when you leave the room do it for a very short time before he has had chance to scream, come back in and praise him, give him a special treat or something. talk to him when you arent in the room with him when he is being quite and ignore the screams. i know first hand that ignoring a screaming cockatoo is sooo difficult.

i,m sure other people will come along with other advice to,

good luck

:D Spike is an old friend of mine, having spent time here  :D while a house move is exciting for the people, birds can take the change quite hard, Put him back into a routine, give him his treats just before you leave him and he should settle down again.

Don't worry Catharine he will soon be back to normal.  :-*

Arrrggghhh... Spike is no better!  I have tried all advice to no avail. I even squirt water at him so he knows its naughty to screech but he just says Hello then how can i be cross with him for that x :-[  H E L P !!!!!

Whilst he's learned to scream very quickly getting him to stop will take longer I'm afraid.

Squirting him with water won't help - as far as he's concerned he's expressing his feeling the only way he knows - screaming - birds do not have the concept of naughty.

I think if you continue the water squirting as punishment you're going to end up with one unhappy birdy.

What Fannyann suggests I agree with very much, but it does sometimes take a bit of time for it to work .

You have to allow for a backward step or two once it seems to be working.

I forget the "proper" term I think it is extinction or extinguishment, you might like to try find it on the internet.

But often a bird starts to be good then seems to go back to past behaviour, and you have to keep trying. So if it seems okay then gets bad again don't give up :)

Has Spike been a "good bird" all these 10 years?

And you have never had this problem before?

I know moving has changed things.

But to be frank I feel if he has always been a good bird,  I would say give in.

If he feels that insecure he needs that comfort.

You could try it for a little while and see if it helps settle him.

I can't see how it could make it any worse if he is that bad at the moment.

I am sure there will be people who disagree with me, but up to you, you know him best.

Not to go on at you, (sorry) but I agree with Nets summary about the water squirting.

Also what you are doing is giving him a "reinforcement" to carry on the behaviour?

He screams and even though you are trying to tell him off, what you are doing is going to him which is exactly what he wants.

Is his cage in a similar position to your previous home.

I am thinking along the lines of if he could perhaps see you leave the room more gradually you when you left, if he could see you at all from where he was, or if you suddenly disappear compared to the past house.

Or is it possible that as you have discovered having his cage nearer to you stops him. Perhaps you could, even if a bit inconvenient for a while do this, and gradually move it back to where you like.

We did this for a couple of days with a new bird here, totally inconvenient and a bit ridiculous but it gave us a couple of days peace when we were desperate.

I am sure you have thought of the point that you had him with you for those few weeks at work before you moved at work, so this may have been a trigger for it.

Had you done this in the past at other times?

Is the routine of your lives any different from before the move?

The bird I mentioned above, when we got him screamed the paint off the walls most days unless he was with us, it is very hard. 

Ear plugs the little soft foam ones,, you can't wear them all the time I know, but it can take the edge off.

I asked some questions so you can get more help from others. The more insight you can give, the better chance someone can figure out the best course of action. Though I hope what Fannyann says works

Good luck

Spike has always been a little loud, he has been to stay with me a few times but did not scream, I think due to the other birds and my being around all day.

I really think the move has unsettled him, like most cockatoo's he does not like change, and it may take a little while for him to feel happier about his new home.

Getting him back into a routine and making your time with him fun with lots of treats and making sure that he has lots to do when you are not there, plenty of paper to rip up  :D will all help him settle quicker.

I know that this is a different behavior but when we moved house my caique got very nippy to the stage that i had to have stitches twice in hand wounds.  It took him a good 6 months to settle in this house and even after 4 years can still have bitey days.

Persevere with him it will settle but it will be in his time-frame not yours.