Sign in to follow this  
Sta~ple

Super long perches

Lacking that...could you not get a big bit of timber from the hardware and sand/hack...whatever..the sharp edges off and make it more organic shapes suitable for a perch. I know it won't have yummy bark on but at least it will be a long perch.

Yep!Dozens over the woods!  ;)

Checked loads of times all around the little woods and forest where I live looking for wood for snakes, all diseased and got worm wood :(

Not much of a DIY person, I'm not allowed to have a saw or touch any tools :D Guess I will have another look and maybe nag the b/f to do it. Was really hoping for a rope one :(

If you do not mind trying to fix the rope ends , quite a few parrot people buy rope from here. Safe and not treated with anything. Though I think the largest size they do is  28 mm it is a little bit fatter than that.

http://www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk/listing/4/natural-rope/

You can buy as much or little as you want.

The price is good, and also the postage I checked is £5.99 but that is whether you buy 1 metre or 6. ( had a play with the postage and shopping basket up to 6, so I hope it is correct).

Also for a charge they will splice the ends for you, though not sure it is worth it, your little pink budgie might have fun de -splicing:-)

You might try joining something like freecycle and ask for tree branches, or local tree surgeons might help.

Sorry to double post.

There is a 36mm hemp rope out there if the 28mm sisal one is not big enough. If you use a search engine and put in, rope perches parrots, a place does come up.  Not an advertiser here so unfair to put a link.

Also there is a page of fittings for rope on the first link. Though possibly not suitable, and a tad expensive, but once you have them you could re use.

http://www.trafalgarmarineservices.co.uk/listing/38/decking-rope/50/chrome-rope-fittings/

I like the look of the big hooks,, though your bird may unhook them.

Thanks biggles! Never thought about a tree surgeon stupidly and thankyou for a link to the rope, that is really cheap rope and it's wide! LAll the rope I was looking at before from parrot places that was 6ft was wide enough for budgies and nothing much bigger! The hooks are a good idea, don't think he would unhook them.

It is so hard to find a perch for a big bird that is longer than 10" it seems in parrot places, guess another diy job along with the atom..

I absolutely encourage anybody to have a go at DIY parrot gear, most of us are much cleverer than we know, and each time you make something you get better. I was pushed to build a cockie cage when I couldn't find a cage I thought was big enough. Since then I have built three for my lot and another for one of my community clients. And most of my tools are hand tools, not electric.thats how easy it is.