Sign in to follow this  
MadMudMob™

Do your birds wake you with the morning light or are they sleepyheads?

We get up at 0530 during the week, I have to wake the birds, on the weekend we sleep-in till about 0730-0800, then they are well and truly ready to get up...though they usually wait till they hear us speak or go to the loo...then they start ringing the bell and calling "ayuh" (Dusty) or George stops whistling (a human tune) and calls out "Hello" "Come-on..come-on"

Nope, the grey and Buzz are really well behaved like that! We normally end up waking them up or they are already awake but don't make noise? Like they probably wake up when they hear us come down the stairs but just kinda stay quite until we come into the room and say morning to them.

The grey says "Morning Woodz" (Her name, not anything rude!)

And as soon as Buzz knows were downstairs its something like "SUBBA SUBBA SUBBBAAAAA HAA HAAA shuba shuuub" No idea what he says, one of his many owners in the past were from Pakistan... but that's what it sounds like but there is a definate laugh. Hopefully one day he will learn to say morning.

My thoughts are that indoor birds get up with their owners while outdoor birds greet the dawn.

I'm curious to see if that's how it works in reality so keep the posts coming.

That is instresting! Specially since the parrots are indoor and quite in the mornings whilst if you don't get the chickens up at 6/7 this time of year there is a lot of noise!

Our little flock, three greys and two conures, are outside in flights and certainly waken with the dawn. :)  It's not too early right now - sevenish - but in the summer it can be as early as five!  Myself and my eccentric neighbour have gotten used to them and don't really hear them.  The holiday homes the other side and two doors down probably do but never mind. ;)

When I had them indoors they were quiet until we got up and uncovered them - half sevenish. :)

My mum, who rehomed a lot of my birds when I had to shuffle them around, has a veritable dawn chorus with a hahns macaw, quaker, rosella, 6 cockatiels, 4 lovebirds, 3 budgies, bourkes, canaries, doves and assorted finches!!  Good job she lives in a field on a farm.  ;D:D

The parrot palace is too big to cover, so my lot wake up with the dawn.

The wild birds start, then Skinny, then Charley and then Mabel and Merlin.

The neighbours must hear them but I've not had any complaints.

I don't need an alarm clock :P

Guest anz3001

Ours are awake before us but dont make a noise until they here us, the second the loo flushs all hell breaks loose! lol

Tia's a sleepy head... She'd happily stay under her cover all day and not say peep if we let her, but as soon as the covers off (time varys pending bedtime night before, she's a 12 hour kinda gal) she's bright as a button, and makes it very clear she's awake!  ;D

If I did not have Asher I would have to get an alarm clock, if he did not wake me in the morning I would panic and think something was wrong. All of my previous companions have been the same, wake at the crack of dawn and come find out why I'm still alseep... which of course wakes me up. (They are never 'caged', they come and go as they please taking themselves off to bed at night and choosing to arise when they like. I find it is very empowering for rescue birds especially, it gives them something back after all they have been through.