Sign in to follow this  
mpeafree

Organic Shredders

Your 'Organic Shredder' model should be chosen to compliment your office not be a distraction. Here are some of the 'overheads' you will encounter along the way, this is based on one model in particular.

Make: African Grey

Model: Congo

Running Costs: Approx £15 - £20 per week (spoilt). (Excl Vet Bills)

Diet: Very Fussy

Character: Shy, reserved, very vocal, prefers balls of wadded newspaper to real parrot toys.

Favourite Noise: "Ow!"

Shredding Capacity: Wood, paper, cage covers, clothing, shoes, cardboard, wooden chopping boards and anything else within reasonable reach. (This is not an exhaustive list, I am certain there are exotic items possibly of very high value that will shred equally well)

Items that *WILL NOT* go through your shredder: Glass, soft metals, jewellry, laptops, cellphones (No you WILL have to answer it) although given the time and opportunity your Organic Shredder will try it's level best to accomplish the shredding of these items it is not adviseable.

When choosing your 'Organic Shredder' please be mindful that they can be stubborn, difficult to stop once started, expensive to run and sometimes do not shred as expected.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Your shredder certainly has an impressive shredding capacity, mpeafree!  I have one with a blue top but it malfunctioned and will only shred soft things now like cardboard.  I decided to try another make - have to say I'm very pleased with the second one - shreds most things, but it is quite loud.

Yes, all those things will shred with ease. Shredders are noisy at times, I don't think it's a maintenance issue I bielieve your shredder just needs more to shred, have you considered offering shredding services to your neighbours?

I mistakenly pressed 'submit' several times when ordering and now have six organic shredders - four with wings and two with thick fur :P

Paper, carboard, wall paper, blinds, clothing, magazines, newspapers, shoes, cutlery, cheques, food - the list is endless - all are at risk.

Most people just laugh when they see my shredded mobile - who needs buttons 8)

... Shredders are noisy at times, I don't think it's a maintenance issue I bielieve your shredder just needs more to shred, have you considered offering shredding services to your neighbours?

Thanks very much for the advice, mpeafree.  I was thinking of taking it in for a service, but I will try giving it more to shred and see if that cures the problem.  I wonder if you know anything about my first one - the make is Pionus... I can't quite make out the model... Blu ? - the label has just about washed off.  Wondering why it won't shred wood any more.  There is no evidence of a paper jam, but I don't really want to put my fingers too close to the feeder.  Perhaps this model just hasn't got the power?  It's very quiet.

That sounds ominous... a 'quiet' shredder, did you try oiling it? I understand palm kernel oil is very good for the inner and outer workings of organic shredders. I have seen palm kernel extrat in very convenient 100ml reusable jars sold alongside 80ml refill sachet's, I think you can find 'shreddable' real wood sticks from the same vendor that have been soaked in this extract that many people report their shredders enthusiasticly enjoy.

It might be worth mentioning that 'quiet' shredders are more often than not being fussy about what they will and will not shred, sometimes this follows the loss/replacement of a companion shredder that enjoyed competition shredding?

After investing in a larger and more effective shredder, we are pleased to announce that we now offer a free shredding service for university employees (the most popular shred request is for exams that somehow mistakenly got handed in despite not fulfilling all requirements)  8)

It might be worth mentioning that 'quiet' shredders are more often than not being fussy about what they will and will not shred,

But sometimes it simply means that you have forgotten where you have placed your shredder and it is shredding something you did not intend to shred.

:P

Unintentionally shredded items... yes, very problematic. But as I mentioned earlier with enough availability of shredding supplies you should be able to avoid this happenstance, if you are tempted to trade in your Organic Shredder for a mechanical one it might be worth thinking about the upsides of having an Organic Shredder over a mechanical counterpart.

Mobility:

Mechanical Shredders - Must be manually placed wherever it is to be used and must be 'hand fed', prone to feed jams and power outtages.

Organic Shredder: Self propelled, automatic shred feed, fully autonomous.

Running Costs:

These vary widely for Organic Shredders depending on make and model but generally a few pounds of organic edible 'stuff' is sufficient to maintain a healthy Shredder. Mechanical shredders on the other hand frequently require 'blade' changes/sharpening which can be expensive depending again on make and model (The big ones at the amenity tip cost several thousand pounds to service every six months).

So you see, the reasons you chose an Organic Shredder over a mechanical one are still as valid today as they were when you first assessed the need for a shredder.

8)

Dear Fuzz,

If your bird is poorly you should of course take itto the vet, which is something I should have said to begin with but if you are simply following the vien of conversation it could be that your 'Organic Shredder' has just become bored with shredding and is developing a more intellectual view of it's world... perhaps few encyclopedia or telephone directories would help?  ;)  :-\

Dear Fuzz,

If your bird is poorly you should of course take itto the vet, which is something I should have said to begin with but if you are simply following the vien of conversation it could be that your 'Organic Shredder' has just become bored with shredding and is developing a more intellectual view of it's world... perhaps few encyclopedia or telephone directories would help?  ;)  :-\

Dear mpeafree,

Many thanks for your concern for my quiet 'Organic Shredder'.  "Which" magazine stated that part of the attraction of this particular make of shredder was that it was on the quiet side.  However, much of the advice you have given has hit home.  The little shredder did indeed suffer the loss of a companion organic shredder and doesn't get on with the replacement... the powerful green shredder.  I also believe as you pointed out, that the small 'Organic Shredder' has become bored with shredding and is develping a more intellectual view of its world as it does indeed like shredding telephone directories, books and magazines... especially when I've mislaid it as Pottys Mum suggested.  Meanwhile I will try oiling it with a little palm oil.  :)