Sign in to follow this  
Se

Re: Blue and Gold macaw laying eggs

Hello all ,I wonder if there is anyone can help please.

I have a 10 year old Blue and  Gold Macaw, she has laid her first two eggs in the last week. can anyone advise me on her care.

As this is the first time it has happened we would like a little help please.

Regards  Sue

i presume that she is a pet bird, you havent said in your post what you have done with the eggs , has she still got them, has she made a " nest" if the answer to all this is yes then perhaps just leave her with them, hopefully she will just get fed up with them and leave them in her own time, if you keep removing the eggs it may prompt her to continue laying which wouldnt be a good idea.

add  a calcium supplement to her  fresh food if you havent already done this. if this is just a one off then it shouldnt do her any harm.  If it is a continual occurance then i would  seek advice from an avian vet

Thanks for that. She is a pet bird, we have had her for 9 years. She is not interested in sitting on them. She has laid another one ten minutes ago. Two eggs were broken, one is ok. Dont know whether its better to encourage her to sit on it, as she had access to it in the cage but was not interested in it. Was worried she would get egg bound, dont even know how many they lay in one go.

Regards Sue