Sign in to follow this  
David

National Parrot Zoo..........same old story?

There are no excuses for the conditions, also they should have a moral obligation

to decline birds that are not fit for this environment.

Also the cause effect. We're looking at the effect, but not the cause as well.

Places like this only exist for a reason, there is a demand for it.

It's obvious now also that it's evident that there are too many birds in circulation

that could be rehomed, rather than pumping more into the system.

Society as a whole, demand for the young, but not the old.

It's a great shame.

Check this out.

A member of the facebook group is creating a video to show the world what it is really like Behind the Zoo!

Has the bird got signs of a respiratory problem?

Look at the way it throat moves as it breaths.

Guest mattyjordan

hi

its not very often i get involved with this sort of stuff, but surely anyone with a brain can see that this bird is in need of vetanary care. sadly its not just this one.

matty

I just saw that poor bird, looks a right mess.

These aren't zoo animals, these were once peoples pets and human imprinted.....

That's utter disgusting........ that poor bird is (has?) being condemned

to death in those condition.  It looks a nervous wreck and looks like

it is wasting away, barely any feathers to survive the cold winter months.

Birds like this need to be identified, removed and put into an environment

that can care for it.

This angers me.

It's not just that bird but *all* the birds there who need proper care.  Until there are professional staff based there it will not happen. 

The BBC weather forcasrt says it will freeze tonight in Skegness...  I should think some will die tonight. 

I am working with other bodies on this still, and always will until we get decent care for these birds. 

The picture was taken a few months ago so I would say that the poor bird is now dead.

If a bird is showing that it is unwell it is often too late, both birds in that clip look to have PBFD sadly. :'(

I wonder who gave it in, ? do they think it is getting the care it so badly needs ? or don't they care ?

beak and feather, just what i thought, what about all the poor birds that were in the aviary with him, i understand that this disease can be carried on an eyelash!!!!! so perhaps some of the birds that this bird was housed with are going to end up in a similar state, i said some, but one is too many...

It's anticipated that the video will be completed in the next few days and people here will then be able to share the finished version, along with a multitude of worldwide websites where we intend to get it posted.

Our Facebook group now has almost 260 members and support from all over the world...  The gentleman kindly producing the video for us, is Eric Beauchamp a French Canadian member who will be formatting the video in both French and English versions.

Emails, letters and phone calls have been made to any and every relevant authority, animal welfare group and individual, that we hope may be able to help our campaign to bring the deplorable conditions at the NPZ to the attention of the wider public and endeavour to get some long overdue action taken towards relieving the suffering of the birds there.  It is hoped the publicity generated, will meanwhile, prevent more birds being taken there by unsuspecting owners needing to rehome their parrot.

That's disgusting!!  But I'm not surprised at DEFRA/RSPCA doing nothing - they are about as much use as a chocolate teapot to put it politely!!:(  It's sad that there are so many unwanted parrots too though that end their short lives in **** holes like this - looking at birdtrader and all the other free ads it is sad the birds that no-one wants and are trying to flog on - especially the old ones, I don't know how someone could get rid of a pet so easily if it has been with them a long time - makes you wonder about people doesn't it and the disposable society we live in!!

There seem to be a few facebook pages linked to this 'zoo' don't know wether they are set up by the zoo or not though - anyone posted on them? - the more people post negative things on them the better, anything to make it harder for the zoo owner and to get as much publicity as possible to those that have 'liked' their page will at least maybe start to ask questions?  There is one that says the zoo will be closed for building work - I was tempted to put a comment but I didn't know if I had the right page - I don't want to start slagging off something that isn't connected to them!!!!! :-[  :D

Do you have a link to your facebook campaingn page against them too as I'll join it?

Hi Alex,

Parrots are given up for many reasons.  Sometimes they just outlive their owners.  Often, breeders produce 'cuddly tame' birds by parental deprivation who are mal-imprinted onto humans.  These birds show submissive behaviours to people while immature, but then once sexually mature at 2 or 3 years old, their behaviur changes (predictably to anyone who understands birds).  It is at this time that many become unwanted, with 40 years or more still to live. 

So, the causes are many; breeders continuing to supply the public with ever more birds; esp birds unsuitable as 'pets' such as macaws, greys and cockatoos; not telling them what parrots are *really*like.  People treating parrots as diposable goods, to be got rid of when their 'use' as a tractable 'pet' or object to cuddle etc. does not match their expectations.  The very things about parrots which fascinate those who  understand birds, such as their intelligence and social nature, flying abilities etc. become a curse to those who cannot cope with the noise, destructive chewing and (in untrained birds) aggression or nervousness. 

The NPS&Z is really only *a symptom* of the problematic relationship between parrots and people; true, it is made worse by a failure to enact the legislation we do have which could protect the birds.  But almost all of the birds at the NPS&Z were pet birds bred in the UK.  And some folks are *still* breeding ever more of them.    In the long / medium term the answer to this problem is blindingly obvious: stop breeding until there are no 'unwanted' birds.  But knowing human nature, the desire for profit and/or the 'pleasure' gained from breeding, the breeding will never stop, so we will always see an endless supply of unwanted birds.  And the likes of the NPS&Z will exploit these circumstances (at a donation of £250 per bird received) as long as they can.    The RSPCA has to kill thousands of dogs and cats every year, as they cannot fnd homes for them.  Rumours grow, esp. in the USA that parrots are sometimes killed as no home can be found for them. 

Several welfare groups are continuing to work on this and other 'sanctuaries' and we are hopeful that progress can be made.  Getting the message out to a wider audience as Caron and others are doing, is helping.  I have already had folks needing help in rehoming who were made aware of the truth about the NPS&Z by the publicity it is now getting. 

Not the video, mentioned and previewed recently by our French Canadian friend, but one put together by another of our very kind, lady supporters.

Sorry, I don't know how to imbed the video, but if one of the mods would be kind enough to do so, I would be grateful.

Same here Marion :'(

Anyone who can watch that with dry eyes must have a heart of stone.

As ever, there will be detractors who accuse the video of being overly melodramatic or sensationalist,  but we make no apologies...  The photographs and facts speak for themselves.

A huge number of the birds are collected - not taken to the zoo - so the owner will not have seen the conditions.

People see the zoo website and think it's real -then they speak to 'him' on the phone and believe what they are told.

Most people really do believe they are doing the right and best thing for their bird.

There are some that are ignorant to the needs of their bird and do take the bird there in person -

not seeing things the way us, with more knowledge, would see.

Very rarely does someone with no feelings take or send a bird there -

they have to pay a minimum of £100 upon their bird being admitted, followed by a minmum of £5 per month for 12 months.

We have it from a very reliable source that a huge number of the birds die within the first 4 weeks of arriving there -

yet the owner will still be paying the £5 per month and the hundred pounds not used to help feed or care for the bird.

On top of which, the dead birds are sold to a taxidermist in Wales.

Think about it - the more birds that die, the richer he becomes.

My heart really goes out to the people who have taken or sent their bird there in good faith -

and are now seeing the publicity we have generated.

Nobody has complete control over their life-

and situations can separate families,cause job loss, homelessness and make someone part with their pet.

A callous person would sell their pet, not pay to 'get rid' of it.

I'm hoping people will stick to judging the owner of the zoo - and reserve judgement of the owners of the birds.

Did you know the owners are not allowed to phone and ask after their bird after the 2nd week of it's admission?

So, after seeing the videos and pictures and reading the facts,

they can't phone and ask if their bird is still alive.

Well said Timneh.

There are those who say it is the fault of owners who give their birds up to the NPZ, but I also feel it is an over-simplistic, generalisation to blame these people. Yes, there will be those for whom the bird has become an inconvenience to their lifestyle and we could say that they should never have acquired a bird in the first place, without the necessary foresight and commitment required when taking on such a long-lived and demanding creature.  However, there most certainly are those. for whom, there is absolutely no alternative other than to rehome, because of sad, often tragic circumstances.  These owners, doubtlessly love their birds and truly believe they are making the best and kindest choice for their bird's future and are prepared to pay for the sense of security and peace of mind that they believe this 'perfect forever home' can offer.

The glossy, professional image projected by the Parrot Zoo on it's advertising and websites, along with the well-rehearsed rhetoric spouted by the owner is nothing less than deception on a grand scale.  Unsuspecting owners and the public in general are falsely led to believe that the Zoo is some kind of Parrot utopia, when the true story, as we know, is a far removed from that fantasy.  Raising awareness of the reality and changing the public's perception of the NPZ in order to prevent birds being sentenced to an existence there, requires publicity on a grand scale.  This is one of our prime objectives, which we are currently striving to achieve through as  many mediums as possible on the internet, via social networking, forums, the blog, video channels as well as hopefully, media channels such as TV and also print and also by word of mouth.  To this end, I would ask that everyone who supports our campaign reposts the videos that have been linked into this thread anywhere and everywhere they can think they might make a positive impact.  We already know of several birds that have been spared 'donation' to the NPZ because of awareness brought about since the group was started...  Here's hoping there are going to be many, many more!

Hi Timneh and Caron,

And very well said indeed.

Yes, we need to remember that the NPZ&S appears to be a scam operation and many people are susceptable to scams, esp those run by 'impressive' websites.  Some people of course just 'inherit' a bird and have to find a home for it where the previous owner has died or is not capable of caring for the bird; so donors may not even be the bird's original owner. 

I was contacted a few days ago by person who had been abouot to give their bird up, but she had seen the publicity about this place on various internet sites, so was forwarned and found another home. 

Yes, the donated birds are just used as a source of income at between £100 and £250 per bird; plus requests for monthly donations.  Then as we know up to 10% of birds may die in winter. 

Timneh, would be good to have a source of the info re. early mortalities of donated birds; email or pm me on this if you can, as it will help the case. 

Thanks again!

So are you saying that the owners should not have checked the place out first? Yes Kathy i do agree the owner of N.P.Z. is to blame see and listen to him on TV he sounds like he has the birds best interest at heart where as we know different. I understood that you had to take your bird there and yes pay them would you not see the state of the place the dirty water ect ? For the few that could not get there i am truly sorry and for the owners who loved their birds and could no longer cope i feel for them. It is not easy to give or sell a bird  if it bites screams ect it just seems we have too many unwanted birds and i do not know the answer

Hi Marion,

Yes, of course, in an ideal world owners should and perhaps would thoroughly check out a place before sending their bird there.  However, there are often situations where this simply isn't a possibility - perhaps the owner is very ill/disabled/hospitalised/without family or transport or as GG suggested, they have passed on and only non-parroty relatives are searching the internet for a 'good' place to send the bird.

We have heard from people whose birds were picked up and taken in a van to the Zoo, so yes, it does happen.

Also we have to remember that, as conscientous parrot owners we would pick up on things such as the dirty water, piles of discarded peanut shells, lack of proper stimulation provided.  However, unfortunately as with many kinds of animal ownership, there are owners, who through lack of knowledge or understanding wouldn't notice this and simply fall for the spin of "all those happy parrots, flying about with others of their own kind."

Hi Caron

Yes i understand but feel we as owners of these birds should be responsible for them long after we have passed them on. Do i recall correctly that the TV refused to do anymore programmes on them or is this wishfull thinking. The facebook page the blog this topic is great someone asked today my opinion on N.P.Z. i told them in no uncertain terms and gave a link to here.

I agree totally Marion.  What is going to happen to our birds after we are gone should be a major consideration for all owners and provision made for them.

I'm unaware of the TV refusal to do any more programmes with the NPZ.  It would be a wonderful step in the right direction, but would have thought it would be down to each individual production company to decide whether they would feature the Zoo again, in a positive light or otherwise.  Several have been contacted and also sent the videos so are aware of the concerns.