Sign in to follow this  
jambo

Need some Advice..

Hi everyone.

Im looking at getting another macaw soon.. (around july time) Ive got my heart set on a Green wing.. Ive found a breeder and hes asked if i would want a Cock or Hen bird.. Now the question is, What would you go for.. and why?

I used to have a B&G Macaw a few years ago, but had to let her go to a better home the end of 2009 due to a new Contract at work. And it broke my heart getting rid of her.. But shes happy now so i wouldnt to disturb that. Thats why i want a Green wing, Or maybe a Scarlet as i dont want to seem like im replacing Amber by getting another B&G.

I feel abit 'new' again as ive not really been too involved with parrots since.. Other than my parents DYH Amazon.. which hates men, so i tend to leave her to her own devices. Ha.

Actually, just noticed the Display pic, Thats Amber.. Bless her.

Any advice would be brilliant..

All the best, James.

I would choose on the basis of the individual bird, and the breeder, rather than sex and/or species.

Generally avoid Scarlets as they are endangered and often bad tempered.

I bought my B&G Macaw from Shaun and Tracey who have Parrotphernalia

http://www.parrotphernalia.co.uk/

I would highly recommend them.

They breed GW's amongst other parrots. Very friendly people with great aftercare (if required). They are in Boston, Lincolcnshire.

I know they are having major problems just now with their internet so probably best to call rather than email.

Macaws...? As 'pets'?

Great if you own a few acres of land you can fly them around over, and you're in your teens so you can really have a bird for all of your life, and most of its as well. This bird will still be wanting a home in the 2060's. Might that be a problem? What about all those unwanted macaws in the sanctuaries now? Guess they all started out as 'forever' birds as well in their first home. What if the bird becomes aggressive and bites when its an adult, what happens then? Is noise a problem, for you or your neighbours?

Anyway, I'd avoid a human imprint/immature bird and go for an 'unwanted' one looking for a good home which you cold adopt. But perhaps first buy a small country estate, and get a whole flock of 'unwanted' ones to fly around there together. That's how they should be kept, rather than indoors in cages.

Macaws...? As 'pets'?

Great if you own a few acres of land you can fly them around over, and you're in your teens so you can really have a bird for all of your life, and most of its as well. This bird will still be wanting a home in the 2060's. Might that be a problem? What about all those unwanted macaws in the sanctuaries now? Guess they all started out as 'forever' birds as well in their first home. What if the bird becomes aggressive and bites when its an adult, what happens then? Is noise a problem, for you or your neighbours?

Anyway, I'd avoid a human imprint/immature bird and go for an 'unwanted' one looking for a good home which you cold adopt. But perhaps first buy a small country estate, and get a whole flock of 'unwanted' ones to fly around there together. That's how they should be kept, rather than indoors in cages.

Well thats the dream..........if I ever win the lotto!

Untill then, I will just have to settle for a pet B&G! :roll:

I see your point Greg.. My other Macaw was an 'unwanted' bird as you put it. And it took me a long long while to turn her into the bird she ended up. I dont really want to go down that road again.

But to answer your questions..

I do live in quite a large house yes, with a very big garden.. Big enough for a 12st Dogue De Bordeaux and a Bullmastiff. And as regards to the neighboors.. Funnily enough, There bird lovers too.

I am a joiner by trade, so the bird will have a flight/avary he/she can go in during the day in summer.. As well as being a self employed joiner, Im also a Bodybuilder, i dont drink.. the only time i go out, other than work is to the gym.. the rest of the time im at home eating! - This is why i am looking for a bird around July / August time, as im away most weekends at the min at Bodybuilding shows.

Sorry if that seems a little bit ars*y, i dont intend it to be. Could i ask what birds you own?

Hi Jambo,

I have greys Amazons and Meyers, plus some C2s and more birds fostered out. Most of these are given to me when the owners give up on them; usually for noise nuisance reasons, neigbour disputes, aggression, owner dies, has baby/divorced, moves to smaller place sudden 'alergy' to feathers after 20 years of being with birds etc. I used to breed. Learning curve stuff and stopped that in the mid 1990s. All the birds I've bred are fostered out and I still own them all. Some come back after 10 or 15 years. Some go back out again to 'new', new homes! I do quite a few consultations for clients with macaws; mainly B&Gs and G winged.

Having seen macaws wild in S America and Costa Rica, I can't really cope with the idea of them being in cages, not being able to fly and scream the place down at dawnand dusk; that's what they need to do. I hate cages and only use them as a last resort. anyway.

Great that you're a joiner though, you'll be able to make a flight and if it's big enough the bird will fly rather than just climb around. You canuse the flight allyear round on good/mild days even in mid-winter. It would be better if you could get two birds so they had company when you're not around.

All the best!

Have to say I'd go for a rehome rather than a baby bird and, as Greg says, two rather than just the one. I have seven Macaws, and can confidently say that although they are all hand reared birds, they absolutely thrive on the companionship a flock, (even if that is only one other bird) provides. Mine are all rehomes, (except one who was my first ever Macaw) some disabled, but enjoy a free range lifestyle only using their cages at night and as feeding stations. With the best will in the world no one can provide the 24 hours a day company another bird will.

As you will know from your experience with Amber, an older bird is more of a 'known' quantity than a baby, if temperament is a major consideration (I'm assuming this, from your initial post.) If there are some issues that need working through with the bird, I'm sure you will agree, it can be a hugely rewarding process which can deepen the bonding and trust between you.

There are so many Macaws languishing out there in desperate need of loving and experienced homes that personally, I could never now justify encouraging the breeding of more for the 'pet' (hate that word) market.

thanks david :wink: , i,m pretty much booked this year however,

i have heard of a guy up in cumbria (who i think has recently died but his birds are still being cared for) that has lots of free flying macaws, however i have also heard that many do die :( so maybe a life of free flying is not the best.

i have 2 of my macaws that a part of a free flying display, are kept inside in a cage at night time, in an aviary during the day and free fly around the premises at set times of the day.

ido have some land where i could fly my birds but withthe red kites buzzards etc in my area i think it would be utter madness.

regarding barrett watson, i do know him quite well, i would not hesitate to buy a bird from him, his handrearer is a fantastic lady. she has reared his babies for years.