Sign in to follow this  
Pottys Mum

Do as you would be done by :)

Parrot-link is usually a friendly, welcoming and informative site.

Occasionally, we have our lapses :oops:

We've had a number of new members joining - some seasoned parrot slaves but many with little or no experience of parrots.

Whilst we are all passionate about our birds, with the power of the written word, some of the passion can be (and has been) mistaken for hostility. And that is a great shame.

We are keen to encourage new members, especially those seeking help and advice and this is a personal plea from me:

When responding to requests for help (even by those who have done things which, to experienced eyes, may appear wrong), please would you give people the benefit of the doubt and treat them as you would like to be treated - and, hopefully were, when you first joined.

That way, we can continue to provide help and encouragement and foster a learning environment.

It would be too sad if, because of our passion, we scared people away rather than welcoming them to our family.

I know it must be tough though, I mean you guys gave me a right grilling regarding my new arrival, but I understood that as you were only trying to make sure I knew what I was in for with these demanding birds, and I know that you guys always have the bird's welfares closest to your hearts. I hope the new members will read this too and take any criticism constructively and not be put off...but I can understand if they feel like they've just been poked by a while bunch of very pointy sticks too! :)

its nice to know that when help is needed ... there is always someone there to give good advice , everyone on here wants a better life for there birds at the end off the day ...its a good site most people on here are really friendly and understanding, no matter how much you all know about your bird everyone started off at the bottom and worked your way up with the knowledge learned by others thats what makes a good friendy place , id like to take the time to say thank you to all who have helped me out thanks

mandy

I was very pleased to read this post from Pottys Mum and hope that others adopt the sentiments therein - after signing up several months ago, I felt quite dejected and upset by the apparent dreadful attitudes from some very experienced forum members about cockatoos, their owners and breeders, to the point that I didn't actually post anything at all, being one of the apparently disliked or "looked-down-upon- sub-species" who love these beautful birds and have kept them as companions with great pleasure over years. I couldn't believe the prejudicial statements I saw, set in a "sticky".

I just want to say that it was decidely un-welcoming and very off-putting to read such negativity and not-entirely-accurate remarks about these lovely birds and those who keep and/or breed them.

Big thumbs-up to Pottys Mum and those who have been welcoming, even to those who dare to own and love cockatoos!!!!!

thanks pottys mum as newbie to site we have always kept birds and parrots and are still no where near being an expert, there always something new to learn and im a firm believer of speak how you would like to be spoken to, so big thumbs up from me, nearly a galah parent ha  :) :) :)