Sign in to follow this  
HUZ

breeding macaws!!! or not!!!

Hey all,

Just wanted a few opinions really as im a bit stumped as to whether she is or is not?

Some of you may know I purchased a gorgeous pair of B&G's some months ago. Around 5/6 weeks ago they were getting quite friendly with each other so that weekend I put in a nest box for them. I think it was roundabout a week after I noticed them showing a reasonable amount of interest in it. any how; id say around 2 weeks later i started noticing a few differences in teh hens behaviour as she became more territorial and her deposits were really blobby and gooey. they started chewing more and more purchase etc etc. any way an this point i was ecstatic, for me this was a given; she was going to lay. so i started feeding them more and tried to keep noise around their quarters to a minimal. the all of a sudden about 2 weeks ago nothing. It all stopped bar the aggression. no nest box activity no slimy lumps of poo.

Two days ago when I went off to close their light I couldn’t see the Hen but I thought I would just leave them be. In the morning when I went to feed them again no female and suddenly I saw her head pop out pf the box hole., she came striding across to me squawking her little head off; She never went cack all day. again today same thing head pops out in the morning and she haven’t been back all day.

Now I know there’s so much to read on breading but I just wanted to know what I should or shouldn’t do. or the patterens you guys have with your Macaws if you breed them. I can feel she’s very nervous and I just feel this could be a hit and miss.

Iv barred everyone going anywhere near their quarters including the gardener.

I feed them twice a day, once at 7 in the morning and 5 in the evening

Ow one more thing which I nearly forgot. Recently she’s been dipping as if to relive herself but doesn’t. Should I be worried. Away from that they both seem in perfect order.

When trying to breed all you can do is keep an eye on the health of both/feed and leave them alone.Any disturbance is a major problem when breeding.

Ussually when I buy birds it will take me 2 years to get them in the correct condition so they are fertile,however Blue and Golds are usually very fertile regardless and are good parents.

Hi, best way to monitor hen is with a nest box camera can be fitted by drilling hole on top of box without disturbing birds.lock hen out of box , having drill ready drill hole place camera on top of hole and bingo you will see hen and up to what she's up to in box. My hen starts with a week of being in box but showing face at feed times then I usually see her 1st egg and thecock bird feeding her inthe box .having the camera allows you to c the chicks and them being fed AMAZING!! Robert123 call if u need advise Tel 07720267465 Good luck and enjoy