Sign in to follow this  
nicotineoverdose

Hedgehog advice/help

Hi. This morning when i drove into the village (still dark) I noticed a large curled up hedgehog 'asleep' in the middle of the road. I did'nt think it was dead,as it was still intact. I picked him up (had work gloves with me)and put him /her in the car and took him home to put him somewhere safe away from any roads. When i just went to see if he had gone,he had moved a few inches,but was not as curled up but looks like he's trying to sleep. I've just covered him over with some straw for now until i know if i should do anything? Is he still hibernating,and if so,should i put him somewhere a bit more protected as for the moment i put him under my leylandi at the bottom of my garden. I thought he would have wandered off you see by the time i came home. Is anyone experienced with hedgehogs way of life? He/she is very well fed,good weight,and quite large. I've got quite a few snails and slugs in my garden,so he won't be short of food!! Would help me too!!

Hi ya,

Its the time of year where they start coming out of hibernation, so they are a bit slow, but not normally that slow.

He could have been hit by a car and in shock still so if he is still there I would take him to a local vets as they shouldnt charge for wildlife....

You have done the right thing though by putting him somewhere quiet. Keep an eye on him and if he is still there tonight if you have access to a vets that would be his best bet.

I will check back here later and fingers crossed he is okay xx

I was at the vets this afternoon with ziggy taking out his stitches from the dog attack. I have tried to take other wildlife to the vets,but they don't generally treat them here,but if you find an exceptional vet,you still have to pay. I will phone and ask,but will perhaps move the hedgehog somewhere more private for the time being. Can i put him in a box which has straw and an opening for now?

Yes i have got a large opensided barn next to my horse's stables. But i would be worried to put him there because when he wakes up,he could end up wandering into their field and get trampled. I have put him in an opensided box with straw and leaves,and tucked the whole thing right under thick bushes in my garden with water and a bit of food if he wakes up soon. Hopefully he will be ok. as i said,he seems very well fed already,and is the size of a proper adult. I could not see any signs of a car hitting him,but the house opposite where i found him on the road has a steep garden that leads onto the road,and my guess is he had rolled down . Lucky i go out very early in the morning,and possibly the only car that goes on that road at that time.(thank god,because i only had my dressing gown on! so no one saw me)Hope he will be alright.

Sorry of course your in France sorry :oops:

You need to keep him quiet and warm at the moment, if he is still there and as Net has beaten me to it :lol: a upturned box with a hole so he can get in and out okay, along with some food and water and have listed what I have written on my hog site.....what they can eat

Crunchy cat biscuits [non fish based]

Tinned meat based pet food (white meat flavours such as chicken, turkey or rabbit- not in gravy)

Pet shop brawn for dog/cat - liver flavour

Spikes hedgehog food or other specially prepared hedgehog food

Raw mince

Any raw or cooked meat leftovers - as a treat

Chicken – cooked excluding the bones

A little moistened museli or chopped unsweetened digestive biscuits

The daily meal should consist of meat and fibre from the above list.

Water must always be available from dish sunk in the ground. Preferably in several different places in the garden.

NO MILK

The dish of food should be placed on newspaper under a shed or well into a tunnel if needed put a brick about 5” away from any feeding station entrance to stop cats lying down and reaching in with their paws.

I will keep checking here xxx

Ok. Well i can't give him the cat biscuits,had to rush outside and get them back in(they are fish based),There has been no movement there since i put him in the box. The box is polystyrene lined,with a wooden exterieur.Inside, i put a layer of straw,then i put him in,and covered him over and the entrance part with straw and dry leaves. The whole box is well tucked in under the bushes and i think it will keep dry and out of any wind or frost. The dog food i have at the moment is pedigree meat biscuits. But then probably all the stray or not really stray cats will end up eating it. I thought they liked slugs and snails as well? Got loads of them here! How warm are we talking here? I'm not giving up my electric blanket!!!!

What you have placed him in is fine, just add some more straw if you can as that will give them the extra warmth which should be enough this time of year as no doubt he will burrow in it. If you have an old water bottle you could place under his box that will also help.

Maybe just put the biscuits inside the box so he can smell them but wont have to leave it the box or try offering some unsweetened museli or weetabix and a handful of raisins and check to see in the morning if he has eaten much or any at all.....yep they love snails, slugs, spiders, beetles, earthworms, caterpillars anything like that.....and fresh water is essential :)

He is more likely to move about once it gets darker...so you should get some idea in the morning how he is xx

Keeping everything crossed for the little fella

Just got in,thanks hm. I have run out of weetabix(which is strange in my house) i can put some of the dog biscuits in and see? There was also a few snails already in the back of the box i put him in,so...kind of like a 'mini bar service'! I will pop out now and see,and put some dog bickies out at the same time i check the ponies. So,should he be out of hibernation now then? I must say,he is the biggest hog i've seen in years. I wonder how old he is.......I've heard they can live to 30?..

Hi ya,

Sorry couldnt check last night as lost my internet connection :evil:

March/April are when they start to come out of hibernation and start looking for food, I would guess he has come out this month as he is so large, and I guess he is a male as they tend to be larger than the females. However it is not uncommon for hedgehogs not to hiberate as well which could be another reason why he is so large, as normally when they come out of hibernation they have lost half their body weight, this will only give him an advantage over the ones that are now coming out. If he hasnt been in hibernation that is because your winter may have been quite mild and you have lots of yummy food around. :lol:

Its very rare that they live to such a old age their average lifespan is 4 or 5 years about 4 in a 1000 will live till 10yrs but any older than that is very very rare....

Hope the little man is okay and made it through the night and thank you for caring about him so much xx

I have two hedgehogs :D

one of the dogs dug one out in the garden about two yrs ago now. It was daytime so thought the best thing to do was to put him in the shed with hay & food & open the door when it got dark. I watched him leave but next morning he was back so I cut a hog doorway in the shed door, got the OH To make a proper hedgehog box and put that in the shed too. That's where he has lived ever since, comes and goes as he pleases via his own little catflap :)

Then last summer a neighbour knocked saying she had found one locked in her shed, it was quite weak, don't know how long it had been in there. I collected it fed & watered it & popped it into the shed, that one has also decided to stay :lol:

I'm afraid i have not seen any signs of movement. I would have to completly uncover him to look in to see if he is alive or not. Could it be possible that he has gone back into hibernation,as he was not really out of it properly? I don't think so,but just hoping for the best.....

Yes it is totally possible for him to go back into hibernation and dont worry about uncovering him they dont wake up that easy from hibernation ......... I guess you just need to see if he is still breathing - keeping my fingers crossed. x

Could you gently rest the palm of your hand on him, or even very gently pick him up, you should then be able to feel if he's breathing, and as long as your quiet and gentle he shouldn't wake. If he's hibernating his breathing will be gentle and slow.

well,i hate to say it but i don't see his body moving at all,and i turned him over a little bit and i could'nt feel or see any breathing. So sad. Feel like i've let him down. Had a few hamsters that went into hibernation,but warmed them up slowly and they 'came back to life'. Unfortunatly,don't think it will happen in this case. Thanks for everyones help and advice.

Their heart rate can be less than 20 beats a minute when they go back into hibernation, and resperation will almost stop altogether, so much so it can be several minutes in between breaths so please dont give up as it could be that the has gone back into hibernation, has he curled up?

It will take several hours for them to wake up, easily 3-4 hours before they reach normal tempreture......

If he has curled up, there is a very good chance that he is okay, even if he has sadly died you HAVE NOT let him down you cared enough to take him home so he wasnt on his own or meet a tyre as his last meeting.

Dont give up honestly as I say there really is a good chance he has gone back into hibernation which is common xx

Please keep me updated, pm me if you want xx