Sign in to follow this  
hotfoot jackson

Bird-Poo Spider

My partner belongs to a book club and had a book come today. While flipping through the pages we found a Bird-Poo Spider!

It is a spider that doesn't spin the usual kind of web but puts it on itself and makes it's brown and white body look more like a birdy poo splat. Apparently this gives it protection from its preditors but helps it hunt. Insects are attracted to birdy poo,so as they approach the "poo" the spider leaps up and grabs them for lunch. Others of the same species are able to mimic the smell of female moths when they are in season, so the bloke moths come along seeking romance, and get grabbed. These clever spiders live in the south east of Australia. They are Celaenia phrynarachne and C. archemorus. The book is Encyclopedia of Australian Wildlife by Readers Digest.

The spiders over there were freaking my daughter out when we were thinking of emergrating. She's bad enough with the ones here! Sometimes she screams for me to" GET THIS GIANT SPIDER MUM"!!!!! When i get there,i can't even see the damn thing it's so small! Bird poo ones would be better for her,as i would'nt tell her it was a spider. I'd blame it on the parrot...

Ha ha ha ...good move. My partners Mum when they first came to Perth was freaked out about snakes. One time she was hanging out washing when a goanna crawled into the yard and she ran screaming into the house calling for her hubby...he came out and returned to say how silly she was that it was a sort of lizard. The next time she was seen shoo-ing off a lizard...except this time it was a poisonous dugite snake...poor thing just couldn't get it right!

As i said before,my daughter has a 'thing'with spiders,so when she got in from school,i told her about this one. She looked it up straight away,and she said it's called a 'poop' spider. Is it a poo , or a 'poop'?

you can see i must love the 'plop pooh conversation................................I live with it constantly,so i tend to talk about revelant things in mylife.

No Mandy they are here in Australia, in the south east of the country, I'm in the south west....thousands of miles away...good thing like most of you I have plenty of places for this spider to hide...parrots such good fertilisers!