Sign in to follow this  
Kerry78

Toast is it really Ok for our Parrots?

Heya,

I give my Tiels a small piece of Toast everyday when I

make it for myself, but just curious as I know with other Birds that

bread can cause Crop problems, should I decrease the toast

to a few tiny pieces twice a week you reckon? is toast really that ok for Parrots? :?

I know most people give Toast to there Parrots but im

concerned that it could be doing more harm then good!

My Cockatiels have gone mad for White Toasted bread...

oh and crumpets lately :lol:

Mine would kill if I stopped their toast :lol:

Most ( if not all ) of the "old time" budgie breeders/showers use to feed their breeding birds and young on bread and milk, it was also fed to sick birds, bread and butter (not marg or low fat spreads :lol: ) is a great love of my Macaws as is dry bread to my other birds,

My old (32 year old ) cockatiel gets dry bread ever day and he loves it. :twisted:

Mine have toast, if i stopped giving it to them Max would definately kill me :lol::lol:

I put peanut butter or manuka honey on mine as a treat, they love it. I only use wholemeal bread....i don't like multigrain....a real tooth killer as far as i'm concerned :lol::lol:

Guest thebirdman

toast/breeds/rools etc all great for birds most love it all regardless of type

its what you put on it that cna be bad for them such as butters , jams.preservatives etc

Oh so if you all think it's good enough for them to eat I think I can go with that,

I wasn't so sure about giving them Toast everyday, they just have little pieces without any of the lurpak,

I used to buy Warbutons Seeded loaf I adore it but was also advised not to allow the birds to have it due to the Poppy Seeds!!!

@ JeBirds, have you got a Photo of your little guy?

you know I still think about your Little Debby x

Mine love their piece of toast in the morning. They get wholemeal or granary with palm fruit extract spread on it - that's very good for them :D

Oh they lady mucks lol your spoiling emm :D

Yes my birds are spoiled but I have read and heard that giving them marge and butter is bad for birds due to the salt and fat content as even though they enjoy it doesn't mean it's good for them.

Bird's organs are a lot smaller than ours and so they can't process these things the same way we do.

I'm not disrespecting what others do or feed their birds, just sharing my knowledge.

When I give the Tiels toast the bits are small pieces mainley the crust parts,

they don't get any butter maybe just a titchy bit of it but yeah If it's un-healthy for us then it's the same for the Birds...

I wouldn't give my Birds Chips at all even if they were oven ones for that even!!! :)

Jas loves chips, and roast potatoes and mash and, well he takes after me, if it's bad for us we both LOVE it :lol: We don't starve ourselves, everything in moderation is the key :lol: