Sign in to follow this  
kimster

Please help - sick cockatoo (Fifi) - Sad update

2 weeks ago, I took my umbrella Fifi to my avian vet as I was convinced she was eggbound (she has been laying randomly for about 2 years). I was right and she was put under anaesthetic for the removal of the egg and had an xray and endoscope to check all was well. He also gave her a hormone implant, which I had been considering, to try to stop the egg laying.

Since all that, she has been off her food, lost 40g in weight and is really subdued. She flew for the first time today and used her voice for the first time too - it was really high pitched and hoarse. She has also been sneezing a lot, mostly through the night. She is on antibiotics and a calcium supplememt.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing the sneezing and how I can get her back onto her food - it is a daily battle finding something she will try. I assume it is down to the hormones and a bit of sulking about what she has been through - she is even more clingy than before! I don't know if I am being paranoid - I have taken her back to the vets a few times and they have tube fed her but this is obviously not a long term solution!

Kimster

Poor little girl.

U2s are often not big eaters and can go off their food when in pain or distressed.

I have found that hemp seeds can often tempt them to eat, even bread and butter (use real butter and don't worry about it being fat right now as she can do with all the calorie she can get) if she likes human food then offer that, she might eat what she sees you eating.

Also try giving her quite warm/hot food as well as hot drinks with something like Poly-aid and or Guardian Angel (both from the birdcare company) every few hours, Cockatoos will very often eat food that is hot rather than the same food cold.

If you can get a nebulizer (your vet may lend you one) I would nebulise her with F10 for an hour each night before bed time to help with her sneezing and voice.

She has been though a lot so extra cuddles and TLC will be needed for a while.

I hope she is feeling better soon.

Thanks everyone for your great advice - really helpful.

Yes I have mentioned the sneezing and coughing (along with my many other concerns over the last couple of weeks - poor little thing came out of the op with injuries to both eyes, a squishy pocket of air where the scope went in!) On top of that, she was having muscle spasms, which they said was probably calcium deficiency from forming the egg - she is on calcium supplement now. They don't seem bothered about the sneezing and coughing - they put it down to the tube feeding she has had a couple of times and the scope. They also found she had an ulcer in her trachea , probably caused by stress - would that cause the sneezing? The cough settled down after a couple of days and I didn't notice the hoarse voice till last night as she hadn't used it, so I haven't mentioned that yet.

I will definitely ask about the nebulizer - am also looking into a HEPA filter in case dust/pollen is affecting her. She had a better night last night, sneezing-wise - I have a baby monitor in her room and for the first time, she only woke me up a couple of times.

She has hemp in her seed mix as she has always been partial but only wants her safflour at the moment - everything else gets wasted. What you said about warm food makes sense as she has always liked sharing my porridge, pasta, potato, toasted teacackes - you name it. I normally limit how much human food she has but this week, it's just about all I can get her to eat!

It was her hatchday yesterday - what a rubbish way to spend it, feeling rotten!

Kim

Yes I have mentioned the sneezing and coughing (along with my many other concerns over the last couple of weeks - poor little thing came out of the op with injuries to both eyes, a squishy pocket of air where the scope went in!) On top of that, she was having muscle spasms, which they said was probably calcium deficiency from forming the egg

Was this an Avian vet? She should not have come back with more injuries than she went with.

Did they give her a calcium injection while she was being treated?

It sounds like they were not very gentle with her.......How very sad.

Get some 'baby food" stewed apple warm it up and give her about a teaspoonful every couple of hours this will help her crop, also some natural organic cider vinegar with the mother (ebay or health food shops) and put about half to a teaspoonful in her drinking water every time you change it, this will help prevent a fugal infection and give her the minerals that she needs.

You are welcome to phone me on 01341 250648 if you want further help/support with her.

Thanks - this is all really useful.

I was actually reading about the cider vinegar yesterday - I will give it a go.

Yes she has had a couple of calcium injections and I am putting some in her water every day.

It is an avian vet I go to - have been going for years and have always been really pleased. We saw someone different who does sound like she knows what she is talking about but I am worried something is being overlooked.

Do you have any experience of hormone injections? I am wondering how much that may have to do with her loss of appetite and subdued mood. They told me it shouldn't affect her too much but I can't see how it wouldn't, knowing what a difference hormones make to humans!

Thanks for the phone number - may take you up on the kind offer at some point

Kim

Guest Gem

I've had a couple of cockies injected with pregyl (HCG) to stop them laying, no apparant side affects.

Guest thebirdman

warm human food is a good idea

baby food heate dthat comes in pots or tims is excellent as they contain loads of nutriants aswell as fat which she will need to build her up

make sure the vet u use is a avian vet as they have most experiance and know birds

keep her warm and keep her cage/area clean as beign unwell she is prone to infections.

it could be a viral infection she has that is making her sneese etc and they are uncurable by antibiotics

keep her hydrated if needed boil water then let it cool down then give her that using a syringe put a drop of salt/sugar in ti and fruit juice for flavour,

keep monitorign her and if she gets worse then seek your own avian vet again directly

cockatoos are particular birds to what they liek and dont like they are little divas even the males so keep trying her with different foods

I agree with jebirds, also the porrige is a great food too, when Dusty goes off her food, I can always tempt her with good old podge. Hang in there we are thinking of you. ...Can you get her regular vet to see her, or are you stuck withthe fill-in? Maybe a second opinion would be good.

Fifi is in hospital

She took a turn for the worse this evening and wouldn't stop coughing/sneezing then became really restless, going beserk. I took her to the emergency vets and they said they could put her on oxygen but that was all till Monday when my normal vets would scope her again. I decided to avoid the stress as she would be sharing the room with a massive dog and thought it best to keep her home. But she wouldn't settle and went completely nuts all night so at 4am, I took her back and she is now in the oxygen tent. She was so stressed out, she even made herself sick up the little bit of food she had taken earlier on.

I am going in to see her in the morning - fingers crossed she is ok. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the support

oh bless her.I hope she holds on til tomorrow..but can't actually believe they are prepared to make her do so after she's been unwell for so long already poor little girl.Hoping she will be home where she belongs soon.

thanks nia,

She is now back in Tarporley. The on call vet came out to see her -phew!

She is having another anaesthetc so they can scope her again to see what is causing her breathing problems - they think it is probably the ulcer on her trachea and the prospect of operating on it didn't sound good.

I am waiting to hear from them in the next few hours.

Oh your poor baby, and you, I am praying that all goes well for her.

I am always on the end of the phone if you need to talk,

Bless her.

Unfortunately not good news from the vet. Fifi has come out of the anaesthetic ok but has to have a massive operation tomorrow if she survives the night.

They found a section of her trachea was restricted (so small they couldn't get the scope through it) and she is now breathing through a tube in her side. She has to have a section of her trachea removed and stitched back together.

Apparently, there are a lot of risks and complications and she is so weak from all the stress and lack of food. I couldn't think straight to ask the vet the right questions and now I can't get through as its their recorded message.

Has anyone ever heard of a bird having this operation before?

Poor Fifi, you must be beside yourself.

I have never heard of this being done..........but lets hope it works and Fifi can get back to a normal life.

We are all praying for her, and for you.

xxxxx

Tracheal resection is not an incredibly uncommon operation - we've done a few and it is relatively straightforward when they have an air sac tube already in place. I hope all goes well for her and she recovers quickly.

Just a quick note - any bird that has a change in voice should get veterinary attention as it can be a symptom of an aspergillus growth on the syrinx which can quickly block the wind pipe and lead to suffocation so should never be left.

Marie