Sign in to follow this  
reggieroo

How long do baby greys cry for?

Murphy is crying rather a lot, I have tried some spoon feeds as suggested & he has a spoon or two & then rejects it so it's not that. Attention I thought it could be but he just carries on with it while speaking to him or giving him tickles.

He's also doing what I call the chicken scratch on the bottom of his cage & if I open the door to let him out he just takes off over & over again, most often crashing into a wall or door :shock: So I have to lock him in for fear of an accident. Already had one, he flew uncontrollably into the nursery while Kate was changing my daughter & nearly landed on her head. If it wasn't for Kate covering her head & getting bitten instead it would have been my daughter who got the bite.

The crying thing has just got louder & now turning into a scream, it's starting to drive us nuts :roll: Is this just something they do for a while & grow out of it or is this something African Greys do all the time?

This is not normal. A certain amount of crying is fine and they all do it but it sounds like he is wanting something more?

The scratching like a chicken is perfectly normal and a real baby behaviour which he will quickly grow out of if you just ignore it.

Did you order any or the Natures harvest tropical soak mix or the pulses? These are foods which are easy for him to eat and which he is familiar with.

When he is out of the cage do you have the time to interact with him? I would only let him out when you can fully supervise him and interact with him. At this age they are clumsey flighyers and need constant training to be placed back where they are allowed to perch and be rewarded.

Guest thebirdman

somethign is missing or wrong with him

if you are giving him attention etc then is might be other birds company he is missing that he was brought up with/lived wiht

maybe he is seeing you as the person who took him away from his buddies

as has been suggested something isnt right, get him to an avian vet asap, a bacterial infection will make a baby act as you have described, its nothing to worry about as long as you act quickly

I've sent you a PM but I think Alan could be right and he may have a crop infection so better to take him to a vet and not take any chances.

He certainly shouldn't be crying this much and for it to have turned into screaming there is something wrong.

Hi, don't want to alarm you but I am with Alan.H and threeladdies, please get to the vet ASAP and get checked over.

The bird should not be doing the amount of yawning that it is doing in the video. If caught early it can be easily fixed.

Birds do not yawn like the one in the video.

Hope you enjoy your new baby, he looks like he will be a cutie.

Maybe it is just baby noises, been trying to see if there is a pattern to it. I remember that the only time he didn't do it was one day when Kate wasn't in, she went to work for a meeting & took our daughter with her so it was just me & Murphy.

As soon as she came through the door he started with the head bowing & the noise. He seems to do it a lot more when Kate is around. He also does it when you go into the kitchen.

Oh & here he is just landed on my hand. I'm typing in the study about three feet away from his cage, he was making that noise & then flew to me for a tickle :) Me thinks it might be baby wanting some more attention.

Hi, don't want to alarm you but I am with Alan.H and threeladdies, please get to the vet ASAP and get checked over.

The bird should not be doing the amount of yawning that it is doing in the video. If caught early it can be easily fixed.

Birds do not yawn like the one in the video.

Hope you enjoy your new baby, he looks like he will be a cutie.

That yawning was the fist time I have seen him do it, been with him all morning & he hasn't done it once. He is just playing on his cage mumbling away.

So whats the yawning thing about, got me worried now?

Guest Gem

I've had a Timneh from 13 weeks and she never made sounds like that, the body language doesn't look right either. I would have him checked over by the vet.

What Murphy is doing doesn't look at all normal to me.

Charley sometimes yawns like that when she's managed to get something stuck in her throat.

I agree with the others. A visit to the vet asap.

Well I got a list of avian vets in my area from avian web. Just called a local one down the road, spoke to the receptionist & she said the vet is not an avian vet as such just a vet with an interest in exotic birds. I explained what seems to be the issue & she said he will call me back in an hour to have a chat. When looking for avian vets I found that most are not qualified avian vets but as the receptionist said "they have an interest in Exotic birds" Seems to be very difficult to find a true avian vet.

Guest Gem

It is, there's only a handful of qualifed avain vets in the country. To be honest it's a minefield.

the "yawning" is often associated with them digesting what they have in their crop, often thought that they are stretching the crop or clearing the crop, he may have something he shouldnt have down there or as said a crop infection. he hasnt digested something from one of his toys or anything has he?

Well I spoke to the vet on the phone for 20 mins, he is also a grey owner with a new baby grey of his own. He has told me it is nothing to worry about & sounds like he is just begging for food, his does the same if they are being fussy with what they have in the cage. As for the yawning thing, nothing to worry about, again his does it the odd time.

He has asked for the video so he can see for himself exactly what he is doing & will give me another ring once he seen them.

All in all very helpful & seemed to know the breed very well.

I took another video today of what he does, this is more a representation of how it goes throughout the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUR470bJ2E

Guest Gem

You might not like what I'm about to say but I really think his cage should be in the living room. I don't like to see birds in the hall, it doesn't feel like they are in a proper living space. If someone puts post/paper halfway through the door he is going to be in a terrible draft. Also be mindful if someone comes to the door, you might forget to put him away first.

I can't see from the picture but can he get back in the cage, looks like the door is shut? He seems quite lost and lonely stuck in the hall. I think it's depressing for any young bird/animal to leave their nest mates and be stuck on their own, I won't keep one of anything but that's just my opinion. I feel close to tears watching that, either he is unhappy or ill.

This will probably not be popular either but why is he begging for food? A properly weaned, fully independent baby should not be begging for food. I have bred Greys in the past and would be worried if I had sold a bird that was still begging.

Yeah this is what i was going to say at what age did u get murphy ? ive had 2 parrots from baby's and neither of them begged for food bob still tok food of the spoon for a while but billy never did ? Sounds like murphy might be a bit younger than u think

I agree with what others have said about keeping Murphy in the hall.

If he came from Lesley (threeladdies) I know what a lovely homely environment he will have been raised in, as Lesley has kindly invited me to visit on several occasions.

He is so young and will feel so out of touch being in the hall.

You may find that by bringing him in where the rest of the family is most of the time, he will feel safer and happier and then the problem behaviour, if it is just that, will disappear.

Good luck with settling him down!

Debs