Sign in to follow this  
cw_lilstar

In the wild do cockatoo's and macaws

Absolutely in the case of cockies! Corellas (Dusty), galahs, sulphur cresteds, all have longish legs which show they are adapted for walking about, glossy cockies, some of the other black cockies all have short legs and only come down from the trees to feed if really good grub is available or to have a drink of water. The glossy cockies have particularly short legs...they almost drag their poor little bums on the ground when they come down. The film "OZ the land of the parrots" (I think) shows this well. Don't know about Macaws. Dusty loves to muck about on her cage floor (thats why she has no grate on the floor) and she helps on Saturday when I sweep the house out...she forages the sweepings for budgie seed from Alice, things she threw out of her house or stuff the dogs have missed. I always have to watch when I move my feet....

Guest Gem

I don't really notice it with my Too's but the cockatiels are alway on the floor picking up bit of dropped food. I wouldn't use a grate in a cage as it would stop them foraging on the cage floors, part of what these birds do.

Thanks hotfoot . . . yeah jess is a devil on the floor billy loves being on the floor too altho not in his cage and jess does go on her cage floor now and then altho she does have a grate cause when she didnt have one i use to come home to the most amount of mess eva she would pick the paper up with the corner of her beak and swing it so the stuff went everywhere . . . . then she wud push it thru the cage bars!!

They are particularly messy beasts! Dusty goes back to the little bits of toast I give her from my brecky about 4.30, hours after its given...but obviously its well worth second consideration. That's ground foragers for you.

Whereva i put billy he always within a few minutes is on the floor . . . . . he follows me around everywhere trying to climb up my legs trying to feed my toes . . . . trying to dig god knows what on the floor

Dusty likes to follow me about...I make her walk or she turns into a feathered butterball...we go do her bed cage...theres a pitter patter behind me...I go into the loungeroom to sweep the floor or empty the bin...there's the pitter patter of big corella feet...she's like a small puppy dog with a beak! In the solarium she runs her beak along the gaps between the paving slabs...or if she's naughty she tries to pick grout out from between the slate. Can't let that happen as the grout has funguside...toxic.

Guest thebirdman

very rare do my macaws any of the breeds walk or spend much time on the floor the have branches in their flights for them and they spend 99% of the time in them lookign and preening etc

the cockatoos walk around the ground i would say they spend about 30/40% time on flights floor