Sign in to follow this  
nicotineoverdose

Beaks and weighing

Beaks generally wear down naturally although older birds sometimes grow longer beaks. Provide plenty of chewing wood and nuts in shell. I have never weighed a bird, sorry.

How do they wear down naturally? He has branches,a mineral block and wooden toys,but wont chew any of them. I'm sure it's grown in the last few months. He is only just over a year old.I'm worried he'll stab himself in the chin!

i have 3 greys and one , max has a pointy beak , even though he has lots of wooden toys and rope to chew also cuttlefish bone and yet the other 2 greys have fine beaks also the beak of my amazon is fine as for weighing , never have weighed my birds .

My breeder said you never have to file beaks,but i'm sure i've read somewhere,that you should if it gets too long and pointy ? I have used my emery board on his nails,which he did'nt think was 'fun' but i had to do it for his sake. I wish i had weighed him when i got him,because i know he was underweight,and would be interested how much he put on. He is not fat,i think he is just right,but might do it just out of interest.

yes you can file there beaks down if they do get a bit pointy , also it is a good idea to weigh him , then you know what he is and if ever you think he is losing weight then you have something to go by , think i will do this to all my birds and find out what the average weight is for that type of bird as i have 3 greys a amazon and 3 senegals .

Guest thebirdman

it is possibile and not unusual to file a birds beak down. i have used a small craft file and hold the bird fimlye and gently and use swift gentle steady movments back and forth carefully.

to weigh a bird if tame you cna purchase a pearch scales and the can sit on it bag them in a dark pillow case the weigh using a fishing/angling scales

best or easiest way to see if a bird is over weigh or under weigh is feel along the sides of its breast bone it should be felt but not a sharp edge to it,

if the bird is over weigh then fat/tissue can be felt at the breastbone rising up and out like a bulge

if the bird is under weight then it will be sunken

weight checking is good as birds are very good at hiding illness etc

If you file beaks you must remember they have nerve endings in them...careful or ouch! Also the filing should be even or you may misalign the beak...I never have filed Dusty's beak. I weigh Dusty about every two months..I am supposed (my plan) to do it every month. Another site posts a monthly weigh chart as a way to stimulate people keeping a close eye on it. The next problem is finding out how much your bird is supposed to weigh. With Dusty that was diffficult..she's a less common kind of corella, so there's not much info on the net or in books about her people.

I would be very careful to file his beak,but it is very pointy and think it is difficult for him to handle small seeds. He drops more than he eats. He has got the right size seeds for the size parrot he is,but once by mistake my husband bought the wrong treat seed stick. It was for canaries and finches! but the thing is he really loves these sticks,but finds it tricky to get any in his big mouth! As for weighing,i will just plop him in the bowl on my kitchen scales. I have looked on the net to see what weight he should be,so lets see how close he is to the right weight..............