Sign in to follow this  
Freddie

any legal types on here?

Hubby has been working for the same college as a chef for nearly 10 years, there is very serious threat of redundancy as the college is looking like closing.

today he has been handed a new contract which is identical to the last one except he and all his staff are now on 10 month probationary period, this can be extended and is open ended until they are happy to sign the staff off. it also says if they do not reach the set standard they can have their contract terminated with just one weeks notice.

this is not for any disciplinary reason and was done to the rest of the college staff last year

my questions are

a is this legal

b is this a way for them to avoid redundancy

c should they have had notice they got the new contracts today but they start the 1st of april

thanks for your help

debbie

well there has been somewhat of a development in that the company have said that the probationary period should not be in ther they will delete this but the rest stands

surely if they sign the new contract they will lose their period of service noe buy has been there 20 years!!

Whenever I've been given a new contract my period of service has remained the same as it was. It's worth him asking them, but I don't think his start date can be changed by a new contract.