Sign in to follow this  
suzybee

beak grinding going on for hours on end in very loud volume

I used to love the sound of my green winged macaw grinding his beak. We've had him for 6 years now and the past 4 weeks he has gotten and maintained a new & now very annoying and depressing loud almost constant beak grind.

it's never bothered me before but i'm close to him and it's all i can hear all night long. i am at the end of my patience and i don't know what to do.

i understand it's in their nature etc etc but all night long - constantly? Every day i expect him to get out the habit but every day it seems that little bit worse. he seems to work out how to do it that much louder.

he is quite a 'bothered' bird so it's hard to change anything he does. he can only step onto a left hand. he can only step off a certain perch. he only poos and sits in two places.

is there anything i can do to stop him doing it all night looonnnnggg??

i'm considering watching the tv in another room so i can actually hear it - but that's just daft.

please don't just say that's what they do! i know that! but he's 8 years old and it's a new habit! an unwanted habit!

Interesting one! I'm going to try to think through it logically. Beak grinding is supposed to be a contented noise, isn't it? When you say you hear it all night long, are you saying that you watch TV late into the night and he is meant to be asleep in the same room? I was thinking that maybe he can't sleep with the noise of the TV.

Also are you showing him you dislike the noise? You may unwittingly be reinforcing it by giving him attention for doing it... and the louder he gets the more attention you give him (looking at him, telling him off, etc.) and so the circle goes on.

Just a couple of thoughts to get the ball rolling. Hopefully others will be along to help! :wink:

yes i,m the same with this one, i agree he might be disturbed but equally a very contented chappie. is his beak overgrown at all? do you give him nuts in shell and fresh branches to have a chomp on as this can help keep the beak in good condition

nothing has changed for 6 years. We got to bed about 11pm-midnight - always have done! he gets no extra attention for his beak grinding. sometimes we just stand next to his cage and say and do nothing and he stops then for about half an hour. but we've only done that about 5 times in 4 weeks.

yes he has nuts etc but there is a small gap between where his beak closes. could this be the problem? his beak otherwise is in perfect condition.

our leser crested sulphur cockatoo does it more than he used to aswell but he started about 1 year ago to do it more - he's 18 now so you could call that a new habit too

lol hi everyone.....

Hi Suzy, I think a trip to an AV might be the best course of action just to check there is nothing physically wrong with his beak. If all is well the vet may be able to give you an idea of what the problem could be.

... our leser crested sulphur cockatoo does it more than he used to aswell but he started about 1 year ago to do it more - he's 18 now so you could call that a new habit too...

Do you think your Macaw could be copying your 'Too? I wonder what started your 'Too? It's difficult because it's a naturally contented sound which might make it slightly harder to replace, but you can try. Is there another sound you could teach both instead? I'm thinking of something like a soft quacking! :lol: No seriously... something that sounds similar but not as annoying.

Kobe used to drive me absolutely MAD by microwave beeping for hours and hours. Sometimes loud, sometimes soft... of course my ears became hyper sensitive to that incredibly obnoxious sound. I used to hear it in my sleep and constantly be on the alert for it. I changed it to him saying "hello" instead just by answering with a "hello!" every time he did it. It's very rare that I hear it now. I get him to imitate all sorts of sounds like quacks and oinks and words which we have a lot of fun with, but I never reward the microwave beep.