Sign in to follow this  
Chrystal

Pining Parrot

Hi fellow parrot lovers,

I wonder if you could help me.

I have three wonderful parrots which tragically went down to two on Monday when my Quaker Parakeet, Bobby passed over.

Bobby was 12 years old - not particularly old at all for a Quaker but he had a liver haemorrage and he deteriorated rapidly from then. In the final few days he was unable to hold onto his perch or bars nor could he stand without falling over... he is most undoubtedly in a much much better place now.

I have had Bobby for the last 6 years, previous to that he lived with my mum. 4 years ago I found that Bobby and my Amazon, Sonny, became very close and with a holiday looming in 2007, I decided to put Bobby and Sonny in a cage together. It was a risk putting a tiny Quaker in with a huge Amazon but Bobby most definately wore the trousers in that relationship ! :lol:

After finding Bobby on Monday morning who thankfully passed in his sleep, I showed Sonny his mate and put him in a box infront of him and took him away. :cry:

Im now concerned about how to confort a pining bird. Sonny is very quiet. He just sits on his perch in the evening and during the day sits infront of his mirror and rocks back and forth. Obviously he is very upset and most of my grief with losing Bobby was sadness over how Sonny was going to feel.

Cutting a long story short... (yep this is the short version!!), is there any advice you can give me for a sad parrot? I have put new toys in his cage and food but he's not flinched. Sonny isn't hand tame. He was a rescue bird who is about 12 years old now. He will sit close to me but i can't touch him.

Is there anything I can do to make him happy? to lift his spirit? there must something ...

Many thanks for any help

x

Poor you, poor Sonny. There is nothing a loved one can do for someone grieving...you did well to let Sonny see his buddy was dead, it will help with the gieving. Birdtalk mag suggested the only thing you can do is just let them grieve. If they go off food, then offer favourite eats, keep the warmth up, keep up the usually routine but be patient if Sonny just sits around like a lump for a while. Eventually Sonny will come out of his funk. Everybody/everybirdy needs to grieve for as long as it takes...just be there.

Oo Chrystal I don't know about rocking..it does sound like self soothing behaviour, especially in the circumstances. Maybe someone else might know? If Sonnys poos are OK, breathing is OK, eating OK, then it probably is grief..?

Thats so sad :( , sorry for your loss of Bobby.

You also mention having a CAG, does Sonny not get on with him and help give him birdy company?

Birds do pine for a while and do seem to grieve like the rest of us, especially if they were so close. Time is a great healer.

I'm sure things will improve.

Guest Gem

I'm sorry to hear of your loss :( I know how you feel and I've also had a couple of birds pass over that have had mates, very difficult at first, you have your own sadness and the grief of the bird left behind to cope with.

Fortnately I have other cockatiels so they have others for company even if they haven't paired up again. Is their a possibility of getting another quaker or some other type of companion for him?

Thanks again for your lovely replies.

Unfortunately the CAG and Amazon hate each other! both dominant males but they do learn off each other!

I would love to get Sonny another companion but his friendship with Bobby was totally by mistake. I mean, you would never believe to see such a mismatched couple in speices, colour and size!

Before I was given Sonny he had an Amazon mate who died so he is no stranger to grief unfortunately.

Thank you all. Its so good to talk to someone likeminded!

xx

Guest Gem

A pionus could make a good companion but would it be better to be the opposite sex to what he is.

Im reluctant to get another bird as i live in a very small flat and having three cages in the room does take up most of the lounge! When I got Bobby from my mum, all three started in separate cages. It was only pure chance that they got on so well. It would be a huge risk to get another bird for a "cross fingers they get on" scenario.

Guest Gem

Ah, I see what you mean, a pi and an Amazon could make quite a bit of noise, not good when you are in a flat. It's a myth that Pi's are quiet!

That was the only thing I could think of to suggest was to get him another little friend - Only trouble is, like you say no guarantee's they will get on, and if not you are left with 3 cages. So hard, but maybe in time the two left may bond - it does happen, especially with one bird out the equation. Sorry for your loss btw x