Sign in to follow this  
yazzie

Help please (green cheeked conures' eggs hatching)

Hi I have a dilemma I have a pair of green cheek conures , the hen got egg bound at the beginning of last month she never bothered with these eggs so I move the 2 of them. the week after she has laid 5 more and 3 of the eggs are fertile. Yesterday she hatched the first chick ( I check nest boxes every morning when they are eating there fruit and veg) when I checked this morning I found the chick buried under the shavings dead and very cold, it had a little mark on its wing but nothing else it was perfect but it had not been fed as there was no food in its crop. I am now concerned and wondering what to do with the other 2 eggs if they hatch. I can not foster them out as my other pair have not laid at all so would not know what to with them. The sad thing is I do not know much about the pair as we got them from stafford show in october and my son and daughter fell in love with them so we bought them we bought them as proven but that is all I know. Any help would be gratefully received thanks karen

It is a difficult one and that is where nestbox cameras are worth their weight in gold as you can keep an eye on what is going on without disturbing the parents.

Are you feeding plenty of eggfood, softfood?

It could even be the daily nestbox inspections which are putting them of.

I would be tempted to let nature take it's course with this clutch and hope they will feed the second chick. I would also recommend investing in some nestbox cameras before they lay again.

any ideas on what kind of cameras to get and where from. I have been feeding emp with sweetcorn but they would not eat it so I chop up there fruit and veg and coat it with the emp , I have tried a few different brands but they are not keen on any. I give them plenty of apple, mango, pomegranate, sugar snap peas, sweetcorn, they have this twice a day along side with verslarga parrot breeder. Do you fit the camera in the box?

I feed the parents a lot of pulses when they are feeding the babies. You can use a food processor to chop it all up really small and add veg eggfood etc. The conure seem to like it as a mush.

To fit the nestbox camera you cut a hole in the top of the nestbox and the camera fits in halve way. If you look on the shop section of the forum there is a section from Eric selling nestbox cameras. He is a lovely bloke who will give you all the advice you need for which cameras to use.

Guest thebirdman

avoid touching the chick or disturbing the nestbox as your smell can put the parents off the chick, aslo nature will prevail and i think the parents can 'sense' a poorly/sick chick and therefore avoid feeding or caring for it, it may sound cruel but the chick will probaly die and hope the parants rear other eggs better

sorry to say it but its what i think may happen

Thanks everyone, this morning I have chopped the fruit up very small and I have mashed it in to the egg food and even though she comes out for her fruit I have left well alone.

HiI had to bring in one of the conure babies and the other egg did not hatch, the chick was fully formed but did not make it out of the egg. I have been feeding the chick every 2 hours for the last 10 days now, I am wondering if any one could give me some advice please, when I bought the chick in it weighed 4 grams, I have weighed it every day and it has lost a gram and then gained it back. The last 2 days it has gained a gram a day so it now weighs 7 grams. I have looked everywhere to try and find out what chick should weigh but I can not find any info. He is very eager for his food and he is looking well, but I would just like to know roughly what weights I should be looking at.

hi, firstly you are doing really well and the main thing that the chick is now gaining, i did a bhc from an egg once, hatched at 6gm went down to 5gm and took aages to start gaining but once it did then it did catch up, just like your chick .

he obviously should be weighing more but dont worry about it , he is doing ok now.

you can have a look at the following website but the only rearing info they are are the queen of bavaria conures, if they are a similar sized bird it will give you a rough idea.

http://www.parrots-psittaculturist.co.uk

you are doing really well, well done