Sign in to follow this  
sparkkwing

Squabbling parrots

Willow and Daisy are having alot of 'confrontations' at the moment - no full on fights but alot of meetings of beaks - ready to bite! Though at the moment they are having a morning rant together.

These are generally instigated by Willow landing very near to Daisy who will respond by getting nearer to her, stretching out and a beak wrestle insues although there is not much actual contact. Then Willow will watch Daisy as she bobs up and down - presumably parrot language for 'get lost'! Then they both have a good bite on the nearest thing they can reach, as if to say 'get any nearer and this will be you mate'. If Willow doesn't fly off at this point they often then both preen whule keeping a beady eye on the other.

Yesterday I had to go out and had put Willow in her cage in the conservatory near Daisy who was still out. I decided to pop upstairs for something before putting her back and I had hardly left the room when I heard Daisy have a 'fly/leap' episode. I assumed she was attempting to come after me but when I looked she had gone in the other direction and was now on the floor heading for Willow's cage, which she then started climbing up. Needless to say I removed her immediately and put her in her cage. Not sure what she was up to but have my suspicions.

They certainly seem to be interacting more and more but not sure how well it is actually going - will try and get a video of it.

My two used to be a lot like that too but I used to tell them off but leave them to get on with it to a certain extent. Although I obviously didnt have one which was unable to fly and would crash land, so it was easier for me in that respect. Ollie moved into Georges cage from choice and oddly enough he seemed happy to have her there, although I controlled how long I'd leave them in there for at first and only when i was available to supervise, and despite their frequent squabbles it became full time. They now still do plenty of beak wrestling and still squabble although George is a drama queen and milks the situation for all he's worth. They now seem really close, regurgitate for each other and mutual preen, a stage which i don't think they would have reached without setting a few ground rules and having the odd barney. I started off just leaving both cages open and George being a greedy little sod couldn't resist going into Ollies and nicking the food, it took a while before Ollie was brave enough to venture into Georges but once done there was no stopping it.

The 'drama queen' bit seems to be second nature in parrots ha ha!

They are spending more and more time near each other, looking relaxed enough, and Willow is coping better with Daisy having attention from me, although she was outraged when Daisy flept (cross between fly and leap) onto me during supper earlier. At least Daisy seems better at planning these moves than she was, and when it goes well she's right chuffed with herself.

Willow did give a yelp and fly off in one of these bouts the other day but there was no wound to be seen (apart from pride) and like you Doubidogz, I feel it's best to let them sort it out themselves. As yet I havn't felt the need to intervene, and not felt much tension between them - even with one on each shoulder having 'words' behind my head, but obviously I don't want to find I have misread the situation between them and they really do damage to each other.

I think it's sounding OK. COuld be better, I dont think they are fond of each other at this moment in time, but that can come at a later date. The most important thing is that they tolerate each other, and beak fighting is the only fighting they do. If a bird wanted to do damage, they wouldn't be messing with beak fighting, they would just go for it. SO it's all sounding promising I think xxx :D

I feel it's best to let them sort it out themselves. As yet I havn't felt the need to intervene, and not felt much tension between them - even with one on each shoulder having 'words' behind my head

You can only go with your own feelings, and as long as the meetings are supervised then I think they sound to be just sorting out the "pecking order".

It is all natural behaviour, and as long as they can get away from one another if needed they should be fine. Our Grey wont allow any other bird into his space at all.

We have two birds who have lived together for a couple of years and still have the odd squabble.

Guest thebirdman

sparkkwing what ages are your birds as it may be sexual maturity/delelopment and them trying to get alpha bird/territory

may not be age problem but a possibility

it may also be they just dont like each other much at the moment in time and jelous of attention or over a toy,perch or food

give it time and check nothinghas changed and they are both gettign fair attention/objects

They are both around two and a half but have only been together for five months, Willow being my first bird, Daisy a rehome - both hand reared. Willow is alot better with the situation than she was but will insist on trying 'I'm top bird' routine, only to find Daisy doesn't agree, and stands her ground. Typically Willow goes and lands near her and Daisy moves closer to defend her territory then there is a meeting of beaks and Daisy lunges at her as if to bite. Willow tends to rapidly back down and move off. I was just a bit concerned incase it turned into something more serious but it doesn't feel like it will.