Sign in to follow this  
sarahpercy

New arrival

Hello everyone Sarah and flock here!

It's been a while i no, sorry! Just posted in the living with parrots section update for you all on Casper, Alfie and Percy. Will get some new pics up for you all to see soon.

Wanted some advice while im here. Ive got some news. I had a new arrival yesterday by the name of Bertie. He's a 5 year old CAG and i rescued him.

Im his 4th owner (we think) and he's had it rough bless him. He was a breeder but when his mate died he was took to a pet shop and lived in a very small cage with no toys. The lady that had him before me bought him, but only had him six month due to finding out her son was allergic so sold him on.

He's a very frightened little chap, not tame and very quiet. He has lost a few feathers from his neck but the lady said these are growing back, altho the stress of moving again may cause him to lose a few.

I really want to help him all i can, he won't ever be moving again thats for sure, this is his forever home now, but any advice from anyone would be gratefully received :)

hope you're all well

Sarah and flock

Poor little Bertie. But how nice he's found you :P

There are more people on here with better experience than me but I'm sure taking it gently and at his pace will be the key.

Hopefully he'll soon see how the others get on and want to join in.

Wishing you really good luck getting him settled.

Debs

Cant help much really but im sure seeing and hearing your other birds and seeing howmuch they enjoy your company will go along way. I have a similar thing with bobby my meyers and it took along time but he has really come on in leaps and bounds and all at his own pace-slow!! but im certain that hes watched how i interact with the others and learnt to trust me that way. Also whenever i give attention to Tiki in particular he always comes over for a beak rub (he still wont present his head) and the pine nut to follow of course. I wish you luck and well done for helping a bird that so obviously needs it.

Oh well done - poor little chap - or should I say lucky little chap now!.

I'm sure it helped my second little cag settle in and quickly come to bond with me from watching me with Willow - If she trusted me then maybe I was ok!

But that could be me being too anthropomorphic! (And that's a big word for a Sunday morning).

I also believe that it helps them to see you interacting with your other birds.Well done for taking Bertie on.Yes let him settle in and observe you and your flock until he feels comfortable in his new surroundings

Ive got some news. I had a new arrival yesterday by the name of Bertie. He's a 5 year old CAG and i rescued him.

Im his 4th owner (we think) and he's had it rough bless him. He was a breeder but when his mate died he was took to a pet shop and lived in a very small cage with no toys. The lady that had him before me bought him, but only had him six month due to finding out her son was allergic so sold him on.

This sound very similar to a grey that lived in a small cage near Staines

in a pet shop there. It is the same grey?

im not sure. the lady i got him from didn't live near me, she lived in London but im unsure where she bought him, but yes a possiblity :)

:D Well done for rehoming an older grey, i'm sure with time he will grow in confidence around you, but perhaps not be the cuddly type like your baby CAG/ I agree with Marion W in that when i brought Max home Jenny improved no end when she saw me interact with Max, she realised that i wasn't this monster who was going to hurt her. All the best :D

How wonderful that you have taken him in. Looking forward to hearing about all the exciting progress he's going to make with you! :D

Hello All,

A little update for you.

Bertie has been here a week now & he's settled in wonderfully.

He's eating new foods etc and getting very excited at the sight of the others playing.

Everyday when i let the others out ive been opening Bertie's cage to give him the choice to come out. Everyday he's been getting nearer & nearer the entrance to the door.

Yesterday i got everyone out as always and opened Bertie's cage. We put some music on whilst i was cleaning all the cages and we were all singing along :D

Then i looked up and counted 4 birds, and for a split second was slightly confused. Then looked again and looked in Bertie's cage and he wasn't there... he was sitting on the top :D He had come out to play!! I was so happy and so proud

He hasn't been out of his cage for years and there he was as happy as anything.

He's come such a long way in just a week

heres some pics for you all to see

Whats all the fuss about?

Posted Image

look at me out on my cage :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

The fun bit was getting him back in... I refused to catch him, chase him, force him or use his travel carrier (which he hates) because that then makes the experience of coming out to play a horrible one rather than a nice one.

So, i tried tempting him with treats, food etc but nothing. I ended up staying up with him all night lol and this morning i wondered whether he didn't want to go back or if he simply didn't know how! So i decided to take off part of his roof of his cage... and within 5 minutes he had climbed back in and was sitting on his perch singing! lol So after over 14 hours of being out i now have one very happy bertie and one tired mummy! but it was worth it :)

Guest thebirdman

sounds like you have made progress well done your patience will help him build up his own confidance

good luck

Hi Sarah,

Im so pleased you have rescued Bertie,

it couldn't of been a nice life being passed from pillar to post what a shame,

anyway he's now in very good care with you. And it looks as though the others are

helping him work out if it's ok to come out already which has also happened with my 3x !

have you got a Top opening cage where you use a wooden perch to open it at the top?

if so and if bertie is ok by it you should try and train him to step on to it and then you can go about getting him

into his cage I use this method on Teallie who doesn't seem pleased if I use my hands but the perch he steps

onto and allows me to place him back into the cage no probs at all :)

anyway best of luck he wil come round to you slowley but surely they all do in the end ;)

what a wonderful thing you helping him like that, what a lovely bird! im sure youll have great fun together, i find it amazing how alot of you find these neglected birds to rehome, ive been trying to help one for over 6 yrs but never hear of any that need help...such a shame because i know theres alot out there needing help from us,

goodluck with him n keep us posted :)

Hello All! Im back again lol

Well just thought you'd like to know my rescue Bertie has been with me for 2 months now (how time flies!)

I bought him a bigger cage which he loves- :) he has room to fly and spread his wings now- its huge! lol as you can see here...

Posted Image

He really has come on so much. He has gained so much confidence. He used to sit and shake when i went near his cage- now he comes to the door to greet me! He has started talking too and in the mornings wakes me up with a "hello! i'm done!" he also tells my other greys to "shut up!" when they get too noisy.

He had feathers missing from his neck, which are now growing back. He loves his fruit and veg which is brilliant and loves to play with the others.

Some pictures for you :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Thanks so much for the update. It's amazing what can be achieved with love and patience. He's got a mischievious looking face! :D

not able for much contact yet, but he's getting better. He always comes to greet me when im changing his water/feeding him etc. He never used to come to close so its a good start!

He'll also take treats out of my hand :)