Sign in to follow this  
Halo

A not so brief intro - (Halo)

Hello all,

I currently live in Solihull (near Birmingham); but my husband and I are moving to Greater London (on the Kent side) in the next few weeks. We have 3 parrots.

Skyla is a Congo African Grey that will be 9 years old later this year. She's spoiled rotten. She's starting to get a little hormonal right now; but I'm sure that will be nipped in the bud when we move. She's a wonderful bird and keeps me laughing all the time. She's into everything and is pretty much the queen of the castle around here. :)

Peg is a 7 year old Peach-faced lovebird with a slightly splayed leg. She gets along fine and is the sweetest lovebird I have ever met. She doesn't know how to bite and loves to be around people.

Halo is a 8 year old Green-cheeked Conure that thinks she is a macaw. Halo recently became a special needs bird. She escaped from her cage early one morning in December and pestered Skyla through Skyla's cage bars. It appears that Skyla bit her whole top beak completely off. I know that's what happened because I found her beak in Skyla's cage. :( At the moment, the vet is not sure if her beak will grow back or not. It's not looking good though. :( Either way, she is eating fine on her own and has adapted amazingly well. I have to chop her fruit and veggies up a lot smaller and I feed her small grains like quinoa and amaranth.

Peg actually kept Halo alive during the first month of her injury. I wasn't having much success with getting Halo to eat from my spoon feedings and I was getting worried. Peg was actually afraid of Halo right after the accident; but after about 4 days, Peg took over the feeding. She fed Halo relentlessly until Halo could eat on her own. Halo no longer requires any help from Peg to eat and is completely self-sufficient. Halo and I will forever be indebted to Peg. She's our hero!

I was never mad at Skyla. Skyla was just being a bird and protecting her territory. I was mad at myself because I didn't close Halo's food bowl door properly. Skyla is not an aggressive bird; but she would not have appreciated Halo hanging on her cage and poking her head in. Halo can be quite aggressive and that is the reason that I have never let Skyla and Halo out together. Unfortunately, I let them down by not being being prudent.

That's us in a nutshell. I am hoping to meet other UK parrot owners and maybe even some that will live near me in Kent.

Here are some photos of the birds:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skyla100/sets/72157622610278165/

I don't have any on there of Halo since her injury. Here is a photo of her that I took last week.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43390539@N02/4440514307/

Hello, and welcome to the madhouse :P

Loads to share, learn and enjoy

Can we recommend you have a look through our section of Information Topics©?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Please, feel free to ask anything you would like more info about or hear others experiences of. We are proud of our friendliness and sense of community and welcome all who join us whether an experienced parrot keeper, breeder, hobbyist, one-bird owner or researching parrots as a possible addition to your life

What an amazing story. I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say we look forward to hearing of Halo's complete recovery from this horrible accident.

Best wishes.

Debs

Hi Halo, I'm also in Kent.

What a traumatic time for you all, sounds like Peg did a wonderful job though :P

Unfortunately accidents can and do happen :cry:

Best wishes to Halo :)

Welcome to you.

Halo seems to be coping just fine with the injury and I'm sure she is still leading a full life. Unfortunately accidents can and do happen in the blink of an eye, sometimes I think keeping birds is like having kids!

Cav3, what part of Kent are you in? We'll be in Bexley.

Not far from you then :) Hope your move goes well, I'm sure you'll love living in Bexley :)

Thanks everyone. It was not our best Christmas, I can tell you that. I cried for weeks for my sweet Halo. She is very happy though and is as cheeky as ever. After the pain subsided, the beak loss did not slow her down a bit. She just 'got on with it'. Birds are amazing at adapting. :)

I hope we like Bexley. My husband will be traveling into central London for work, so it will be convenient.

Gosh what a traumatic time for you, I can just imagine all the things going through your head and it shows just how quickly things can happen, often we 'get away with it' and just shudder at what might have happened (when I let one of my greys get out because I had left a window a bit open, got her back a week later). I am really impressed with Peg taking over the feeding of Halo - bless!

Welcome to parrot-link. I discovered the site when I found a timneh in my garden. Found his owners 4 days later, then never went away and have two greys myself now. You can find out just about anything here, and not just to do with parrots either!

Welcome Halo!

What a little hero your Peg is. I know what you mean about little birds thinking they're a macaw, I have two caiques who think they're macaws too.