Sign in to follow this  
Angel44

Invisible Pet Fence

Has anybody had any experience with the invisible pet fences? After having one of our cats run over and killed a year or two back and another one run over and badly injured, we have kept the remaining cats indoors. However, they are really desperate to be outside and I am now looking at the invisible pet fences as a possible option. The people who make/sell them swear by them..... obviously, but I would like to hear from people (if any)who have experience with them.

It's apparently a strand of wire that can be buried around the perimeter of your property and then the cat/dog wears a collar which will beep when they get close to the boundry and then give them a static shock if they continue closer. On the one hand I think they are cruel, but on the other hand is it more cruel to keep them locked in the house when they are desperate to be out :cry: I just really can't bear the thought of them being run over..... again :cry:

We have a cerebral palsy cat (sort of) he can't jump properly and is dumb about dog safety as he was part raised by our dog Chloe (Bubba), so he has to stay inside. We are going to build a cat solarium/run using the left overs of the wire I bought to make Dusty's solarium/aviary. Maybe that might be a solution if you don't like the idea of zapping your cat. Here the RSPCA sell cat pens for indoor cats. There is also a bit of a movement to keep cats indoors (or banned) so they don't eat all our small native wildlife like birds, marsupials, rats and mice (native) and possums.

I know that Karen Pryor, author of "Don't Shoot the Dog!" - a book promoting positive reinforcement used one for her dog. Yes, it is negative reinforcement, but the cat will quickly learn not to go near the boundary when it hears the beep. Cats are fast learners... it should only take a few shocks for him/her to catch on.

I have seen one of these systems in action in Canada, where a lot use them and keep there dogs outdoors without boundaries.

The shock collar has two prongs which press into the throat of the animal, it also has an audible warning. If I remember correctly the audible triggers about a metre from the boundary wire, which does not give much chance for them to change their minds, say if they are chasing and are distracted.

Personally I think they are cruel, yes they will learn where the wire is eventually and only receive occasional shocks when they forget.

The one I saw was being used on a Husky dog and the odd time she got hit by the collar, it certainly made her yelp.

One more thing to consider is that if they cross the boundary then they also work the other way and keep the animal outside.

I have still to meet an owner who is willing to try the device on themselves before putting there animal throught it :)

Hmmmm, my worries exactly.... However, they state this is not an electric fence but a radio fence - what is the difference??? I would imagine a cat one would be less strong...? I really, really don't know what to do. There is nowhere around my house I could put a cat pen where they could perhaps climb out of a window or cat flap straight into it.... The only way I could do it was if they had a pen in the garden and that just doesn't feel right :cry: Really don't know what to do.

I had a friend who adopted a stray cat and soon had nine cats, they lived beside a very busy main road, so my friend blocked the ends of a small lane like area by the house, put a roof on it and the cats, (and her) go in and out via a window...it worked well. The cats had sun, fresh air, the chance to chew wild grass that grew in the lane area, hunt bugs...but most of the time the blighters just sat on the window sill and enjoyed the sun.

There are 2 ways of looking at this.......... it could be the difference between life & death and you can adjust the collars for the sensitivity and put it on you to see how strong it is and if your not happy then dont use them.

There was a lady near me that was looking at one of these for her dog who kept running off, and she was umming and rrrrring about them as well, the next week her dog was run over and killed........

I personally dont endorse shock collars, however if it saves a life who am I to question ???

That's it.... something has to be done and soon. Twice in the last 24 hours the cat flap has been changed from in only to out only - Shadow is now outside and doesn't want to come back in :cry: I've spent the last hour or so in the garden (in the rain I might add) in my pj's trying to persuade him to come back in and he's having none of it. He really wants to be out there. However, as he has a total lack of spatial awareness I just know that if he doesn't come back in before the tractors are up and about then he will end up being a flat cat :cry:

Panic over - the weary adventurer returned no worse for wear :D The cat flap is now firmly taped shut - completely! Something needs to be done... and soon, as I can't keep worrying like that as I'll end up having a breakdown :cry:

I have a friend here that adopted a lovely dog. He has a good size garden,but the fencing did not keep the dog in. So he got one of these collar things,and it stoped the dog getting out on the road.She keeps her distance from the boundary. As said,the strength of the shock can be adjusted.He broke it by accident,and it has'nt worked for months,but the dog still thinks it does! They are very popular here because most people have large gardens that are sometimes difficult to fence. I don't think they are cruel. I use an electric fence to keep my horses in,so whats the difference?one of them touches the fence now and again to see if it still works,gets a shock and freaks for a second but then it's all over and carries on eating! On the other hand (don't laugh) i have another friend that bred snails for the resturants,and kept them in with an electric fence! I think thats cruel,because they can't get away from the shock quick enough.My cats would hate to be locked in all the time,i think thats more cruel,but then i don't live near a road,but if i did,i would consider a collar to keep them from being run over.

I have a friend here that adopted a lovely dog. He has a good size garden,but the fencing did not keep the dog in. So he got one of these collar things,and it stoped the dog getting out on the road.She keeps her distance from the boundary. As said,the strength of the shock can be adjusted.He broke it by accident,and it has'nt worked for months,but the dog still thinks it does! They are very popular here because most people have large gardens that are sometimes difficult to fence. I don't think they are cruel. I use an electric fence to keep my horses in,so whats the difference?one of them touches the fence now and again to see if it still works,gets a shock and freaks for a second but then it's all over and carries on eating! On the other hand (don't laugh) i have another friend that bred snails for the resturants,and kept them in with an electric fence! I think thats cruel,because they can't get away from the shock quick enough.My cats would hate to be locked in all the time,i think thats more cruel,but then i don't live near a road,but if i did,i would consider a collar to keep them from being run over.

True, my horses paddocks are surrounded by electric fences too.... The one I'm looking at will give an audible warning first, so they should learn very quickly that when they hear the beep they need to turn around otherwise they will get the static shock. Because of the area we live in we are unable to fence the front of the property and install cat rollers etc on top - therefore the invisible fence idea seems the only option. My cats are desperate to be out, but until I can be assured they are not going to be killed on the road I can't take that chance. The weird thing is we live in a tiny village with very little through traffic.... but when a car comes it seems all the cats have the urge to dash home - not a happy ending :cry:

I know exactly what you mean. I pass the 'town' cats every day,when i take my daughter to take her school bus. They are much wiser than my cats. They seem to wait until there is a gap in the traffic. BUT,if a car comes past near my house (rare),it bombs along thinking there will be no other cars,but it only takes one car.My cats would panic 'cos they don't see many cars,but they tend to hide.I have 'tested them' by driving really slow and revving the engine and hooting the horn! (mad,but,y'know) But i would not really like to have a cat if i lived near a road,'cos to me it's a bit like russian roulette. My horses can hear the 'ticking' of the fence,and thats why one of them tests it,'cos a couple of times i've had a loss of connection and he found out ,and they got out. (don't go anywhere though)So,what i do now is,i turn it off now and again,and it's confused the escapologist !This particular one is OF COURSE ................................;;A little pony !

We have a geriatric rehomed cat called Splodge (his original name not chosen by us) who when we come home throws himself on to the driveway and rolls about in cat fits of happiness...and wwon't shift.we honk, shout, insult him, flash the lights...nothing. I always have to get out of the car and scoop him up, usually making ageist comments, so my partner can finally drive up into the drive. This same cat used to go to the house opposite and rest in their back room. We had to go over and look for him and apologise...luckily they were really nice people and once they realised he wasn't a stray who was going to pee inside their house, said he could come and go as he wanted. This was OK till the house was sold and the new owner had it demolished to build units...we kept having to fetch him back, he would just as likely refuse to leave his favourite sunroom as they pulled the house down around him...the old dill!