Sign in to follow this  
Jooles

Renewing Insurance (Golden Valley)

I have had my CAG insured with Exotics Direct for the past year for the simple reason it was the only company I knew of that covered parrots, since taking the insurance out I have of course aquired Argyle my hahns so as renewal is coming-up I decided to have combined insurance for the two of them. I am going with Golden Valley this time - less than £10 more than the quote I had from ED for one parrot and the excess is only £12 as opposed to £50! Their first quote was more until they asked me a few questions (they should have asked before the first quote) and I told them I was doing a comparison with another company.

Moral of the thread: Play insurance companies off each other and ask if there are discounts in certain circumstances. Oh and well done Admin on the GV ads, they have their first sale due to their ads on here.

I had assumed that if I stayed with the same company any pre-existing conditions would be covered.

I was wrong. I have just found out that the cover I have for the Grey Gang now excluded PBFD, as they have been exposed to it :shock:

I shall definitely compare prices when it comes up for renewal.

I've been very selective about the companies that advertise and

they only relate to the parroty world so should be of benefit

to our members.

I'm glad the advertising is working and thank you for bring this to

my attention as it's good to know it is beneficial.

I have been with Golden Valley for 10years, only had to claim once but i did have to pay the vet 'up-front' then sent receipt of and got cheque pretty quick.

Mine for 1 Pionus is £41.89 a year, the first price I had in 2001 was £31.89, not bad!!!

Some companies don't insure you to use non avian vets, Gd valley do though and recently that proved a godsend for me when i couldn't get to the avian vet in time!

Have to say I have heard nothing negative about Golden Valley - and you can't say that about most insurance companies. Though havn't had to make a claim yet (couldn't on Daisy as did not have it within two week period before it comes into effect).

Our Macaw had a lump (that turned out to be a tumor) removed from her eye lid last year.Golden Valley paid out very quickly ( £200 + ) Had to take her back to the same vet Two weeks ago for a checkup as it seemed to be giving her some agro,vet said all was ok!....However we were not 100% happy with this and went with our gut instinct , took her to an avian vet in Leceister.He took blood ,xrays and a biopsy on her chest and leg due to 'lumps'that he found on examination.we are waiting for the results,this bill so far is in excess of £380 !I have nothing but praise for Golden Valley.

I am with Golden Valley, when Barney was poorly last year I took to a emergency out of hours vet (non avain) next day took him to a recommnded vet (not very impressed) so the next day took him to another vet. I did not really expect them to pay all three bills and if they did, thought they may take £12 excess off each vet bill and treat as seperate claims. I was very happy with GV cheque posted to me very quickly, no problems only one excess taken. Recommend to all :D

Another head-up for Golden Valley.

I remember I had only had my CAG for less than 18 months when he got a serious dermitological problem and all his feathers came out. Even tho the vet bills were than I had paid for the insurance at that time, they paid out with no quibbles at all.

In fact, they are very relaxed about payment every year. I wanted to spread the cost of the insurance out over two installments this year and they said fine!

Thumbs up to Sharron at GV!

I am also suspicious of insurance companies and often decline to insure stuff, prefering to hold a little money back but in the case of the birds I simply could not afford to lay out money if it ran into thousands.