Sign in to follow this  
nicotineoverdose

What would the cops do over there?

If a young teenager gets seperated from being out with friends in town,and has no way of getting home,if they go into a police station and ask for help home,and if they phone the parents (who have no transport) would the police take the teenager home?

Here in Perth we have had trouble with youngsters being out in the entertainment area really late at night, at 10pm the younger group get removed from the area by the cops, taken to the cop station and either taken home or their folks called to come fetch them. Another group a few years older have to gone by 11pm and the same happens to them....

This was done as the kids were causing strife and getting bashed by drunks..

I just wanted a comparison to what they do around here. For example,my friends daughter,had this happen,and the only parent that was home could not go and collect her daughter because she had no transport. The cops took the daughter,and put her in a kids home,because they would'nt take her and they would'nt put her in a taxi as her mum asked them to do(after they refused to bring her home) She can't get her daughter back. She has been put with another family,as the court decided! Now the daughter has to see a social worker all the time,as her mum do'es too! She has no right to do anything,or the daughter until she is 18! They are bot ordered by the court to regulary see an appointed phsyciatrist too!!! It's not the only time i've heard of this kind of stupid French law 'protecting' kid's. They seem to want to break up families as it keep 's the employment going here. I can't see it would happen in the uk,but then again i don't live there so i can't really say. There are a load of kid's that really DO need help,but they seem to waste their time on ones that actually have no problems. I wish they understood the saying: "if it 'aint broke,don't waste time trying to fix it!" All this has happend JUST because the daughter got lost,asked for help,and did'nt get it! I can't believe this country.

Here in Kent they would have just taken her home. It's shocking that they would involve the social and courts in a situation like this. Sounds like they're just trying to make more work for themselves.

Yes chala,i think thats exactly why they are doing it. I know we have'nt lived in the uk for many years,but as we always knew it,the cops would bring the kid safely home. Another person i know here had to go to court with his son over a squabble for a packet of sweets! Not sure whats going to happen to his son? It will be going back to court AGAIN for the second time to decide what will happen to the son! They love paperwork and making a simple thing into something as complicated as possible here.

A bit over the top is an understatement!! Neither of the kids i have mentioned have ever been in trouble. Both from 'non French' families though. Maybe thats it too. In fact,i have another friend in a different department from me (3 hr drive away) her son of 11 yrs was out playing in the little country village where they live at 9.30 in the evening. It was the holidays. My friend was reported to the authorities by someone in the village that she doesnt look after him.I have known her for about 8yrs,and she is a very good single parent. She and her son have to see a social worker every week,and a phsyciatrist every month. This has been going on for about a year. Since this time,she has become very withrawn,depressed,has started drinking to calm her nerves because these social worker people critisize the way she brings her son up and the way she lives. She too is not French. She used to have her own antique business,now she has no job,no money,her house that she was renovating is now falling down,and it has become a downward spiral to hell for her,just because of these authority people. She is trying to get back to the uk before they decide to take her son away from her. They just are'nt normal here. I have lived in France for about 14 years,and i will never be able to get my head around the French. I hear lots of stories about how terrible it is in the uk,but i'm sure it's not as bad as here? At least if a kid went into a police station asking to be taken home over there,they surely would'nt refuse!?

I'd be quite shocked if they simply took the youngster home to be honest, it takes them a week to issue a crime number if your car is broken into, an offence they are too busy to investigate.....but if the issue was simply one of lack of transport why couldn't the available parent call a cab to collect their child?

She said to the police that she would call a taxi and pay when it brought her home,but the police would not let her go in it. They said they would phone her back,and she waited by the phone all night,and they did'nt phone back until the next day to tell her that the daughter had been placed in a home because the parent refused to collect her ! Crazy

Well,the journey there and back would have taken 1 hour. The parent is on benefits so that amonut of time in a taxi would have cost a fortune. Too much for her to afford. As far as i know,she told the police that. The girl was just sixteen at the time. Also,there are not really any taxi's in the country,they only have ambulance's.She would have had to call a taxi from near the police station,so in all she would actually be paying for 1 and a half hour's taxi time.

I like the Austrialian solution.

In our neck of the woods, you often see kids as young as 8-9 playing around the town centre at 9:30 in the evening with no parent in sight and it is very common to see 15 year old drunks causing chaos in the town at 10 or 11 at night - the police stay well hidden in their cars or station.

I just wanted a comparison between France and the uk on how they handle these sort of things.I still have an image of the 'friendly' policeman standing on the street corner,always willing to give the time of day. Having not lived there for a while,i sometimes watch the english channels,and see all sorts of bad behaviour that i don't see here. For example,the crowds of young women in the towns,completly drunk. Wonder how the police deal with them over there.

I think at that age my daughter wouldn't have been so far from home without me. :wink:

Sadly our 'booze' culture is way out of hand here I think. Far too many places selling alcohol for next to nothing.

Yes net i agree about the girl being so far from home,but i do understand her letting her daughter go out with her friend and her friends mum.She was taken to a funfare that only comes Around here once every 3 years. I live in a place more or less the same as this other person. My daughter is 13,and her bus journey to get to school in the morning takes almost 40 minutes. Her school is 30 km away from where we live. It is very rural here,so to go out anywhere,it's always quite far from home you see. I don't think the drunken problem is like as bad here as in other places like in big towns. I must say,it looks awful seeing these young pretty girls falling about on the street,vomitting and fighting. I was speaking to the computer repair man (english) and he says that this kind of thing is only really in the bigger towns over there. Am slightly worried about moving back over there. I don't want to live anywhere that we become prisoners in our own homes,but then again we will not be living in a big town.