Sign in to follow this  
freda deniau

cockatiel father sitting on eggs?

is this normal?

I have had these two birds for around 3 yrs now, pierre was the first a rather ugly small bird squeels if another bird aproaches, they live with lovebirds, we decided to get him a mate which was jo jo who we was told was male as well, well she dropped an egg the first morning, since this they have lived happily but recently have seen pierre doing his thing and now after two years they have taken over a nest and eggs! today no pierre and looked in the box and he was sitting on the eggs is this normal, are they a couple?

thanks for any advice

freda

Some male birds do help with the kids...not sure about how much the cockatiels blokes are supposed to help. Maybe you've just got a sensative new age cockatiel? I'm sure a true expert will come along and give you sensible comment soon.

Guest Gem

I've found that the males incubate during the day and the female takes over during the evening/night. Sometimes when the hatching is close both will sit for a while. When chicks hatch they seem to take it in turns during the day but the female always does the nightshift.