Sign in to follow this  
Freebird

Surely this can't be allowed-Rescue selling Citron Too £870!

The picture on the ad looks like one of a wild bird, and they are selling with no paperwork :shock:

FOR SALE

£870 ovnoCitron crested Cockatoo, Lovely Bird

Ipswich, Suffolk, UK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Citron crested cockatoo for sale by Macaw & Parrot Rescue U.K., the bird is about 18 months old and is hand tame, loves lots of attention and must go to a very good home that has lots of time an love to give, Citron cockatoo’s come from Indonesia, this bird was bred in the U.K and is rung but no paperwork is available, as far as we know it is a male bird, comes with a brand new cage that cost £200, he has a few toys to keep him amused, this is a very fine specimen of this wonderful bird, if you want a rare chance to own this bird then please get in touch [Full details...]

No I can't make calls from work at the moment and I don't have a mobile signal at work, to be honest I'm not sure what I would say to them.

I thought about contacting Defra, but after the last incident, what's the point as they don't do anything?

I'm stumped on what to do? But feel very angry after seeing this ad. Any advice??

What should I do if I become aware of someone selling CITES specimens without paperwork ?

Illegal trade in endangered species is a serious offence and if you suspect someone is selling CITES specimens without the necessary documents you should contact your local police or the following contact point wildlife.enforce@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk Your name will not be passed on to the enforcement authorities without your permission.

Yeah tried calling no one picked up . . . have emailed them tho off the ad email see if i get a reply then can try and call again later maybe they are not aware that u are not to sell with out the paperwork ?

it is not illegal to sell a cockatoo with out paperwork, it has a number on the ring that can be checked, we are a rescue centre that has been rehoming birds for 15 years and know the rules

THANKS

There reply . . .

I just spoke to them, they told me they were allowed to sell a cities rescued bird as they are a rescue, and have sold other cities birds without paperwork.

I asked them if I had to fill out an adoption form and was told yes, if i couldnt look after the bird it should go back to them. The £870 is non refundable. If I wanted to sell the bird on though I could?? The bird comes with a new cage which is on order at £200, if i don't want the cage they will knock £200 off the price.

They told me this bird is 18 months old and a rescue bird that came from Walton on Thames?

I have emailed your contact @animalhealth, will see if it does any good? Another thing is the guy told me they could deliver the bird to me if I couldn't pick it up, no questions on experience, no home check? Beggers Belief!

Oh dear I am doing this wrong :twisted:

they are not a rescue they are dealers, who are able to get their birds for free and then make a nice profit out of them.

No one can sell a 18 month old CITES bird without papers.

I know it's illegal for them to sell this bird, but i was not prepared to argue the point with them over the phone, hence reporting them.

I went through all this with Coco when she was being sold from S4B, I couldn't touch her without breaking the law, I spoke to a guy from Defra who promised me he would follow this up, and even told me the police were involved! Nothing was done, they don't care about this sort of stuff!!!!

I'm really, really ******** ********* ****** *** argh! And selling this bird for such a huge amount of money!!!!! and still have the gaul to call themselves a rescue????? I just wish I had the power to do more, I wish I had the original owners contact details to let them know what is happening to their citron.

right spoke to someone at defra the email i sent this morning ( tori they said they only received one ) 'wildlife.enforce@animalhealth.gsi.gov.uk' sent there anyways this has been sent to the compliance team and he said something will be done. I have emailed them the advert on preloved and link to the macawrescue website i have given my contact details too

Maybe one of you could follow up the e-mails with a hardcopy? When stuff is recieved by post, it is date and time stamped so it's hard for them to say they didn't get it, you could also register the letter so they must sign for it.