Sign in to follow this  
Monk

Moving to Ireland

Hi guys, my circumstances have recently led to me getting a job in Ireland. This means that I will have to take Taffy my Blue-front with me. Does anyone know what I have to do to get her over there? I have heard a few different things from different places and to be honest am a bit confused :? Any help much appreciated :)

Hi Monk,

I'm from NI and have looked into the ins and outs of moving birds to and from mainland and from NI to ROI etc.

Best method to move bird is England / Scotland to Belfast / Larne via ferry. Belfast to Stranraer is quickest with HSS. You have to take car as bird will have to stay in it during crossing. No problems with customs etc as it is still part of UK.

Things could get funkier if you sail England / Scotland to Dublin as strictly it's foreign and not part of UK, although in saying that I still don't see you having a problem.

Simplest way and best of for bird would be Belfast - Stranraer as it's the shortest crossing, less than two hours compared to eight or nine for other routes. You'll then be able to drive from Belfast to Dublin (and then beyond) in around two and a half hours. There are no physical borders between NI and ROI any longer and no checkpoints so its just as though you were driving up the m-way in England.

If you don't want to take the car or transport it yourself there are reputable avian couriers in the back of the parrot society magazine who friends of mine have used on occasions, and they seem fine.

Hope this of help :)

Darrell.

Thanks for the replys . It is Southern Ireland (Dublin) that I am moving to and as I'm from close to Liverpool it would be a pain if I had to travel elsewhere to get the boat over. Maybe thats just me being lazy!

Monk

Like Darrell, I live in N/Ireland, however I had travel to Wales to purchase a parrot and used Dublin Holyhead for the trip. I did not encounter any problems on returning to Dublin, no paperwork etc . (except the parrot who wanted everyone to know that she was in the car)

DR