Sign in to follow this  
Merlin&Maggie

Blue and Gold Macaw pairing advice wanted please

We have a 4 yr old Female B/G Macaw, and have recently purchased a 3 yr old Male. We have done the putting the cages together thing, and after a while they seemed to chatter to each other fine. They were then introduced to each other outside of the cage, and the female decided to get into the males cage, and he followed her, so we left them together as there was no nastiness at all. The problem we have now is:- because the male is so hyper, and tends to launch towards the female (not in a nasty way, he does that to us too), she screams at him which makes him scream too, and she tends to try and bite him. The other problem is, they are both striving for our attention and compete against each other getting louder and louder. Could anyone please advise on how I can make the birds realise that they should love each other as well as us. Also, how do I know that these birds are going to be compatible. I am aware that they are too young to breed at present, but would love to see them get on instead of screaming all the time. Thanks.

Firstly,they are of breeding age.I have bred Blue and Golds at 3 years old but I always paired them in large aviaries.You cannot force 2 birds to like each other.One way to perhaps reduce the problems is to place them in a new aviary(a cage is usually too small)so there are no territorial issues.

Guest thebirdman

hi

try to put the birds in a large outdoor fligth/aviary this will give them room to get away from each other if they want space, i like Mike K has said have also breed macaws at a failry yougn age at round 4 years old althoguth it was by acccident not intentional and they produced a couple of nice chicks and mother looked after eggs very well and the two birds are still in an aviary together and have breed since.

give them time to get bonded a bit and be patient as they will have to get used to each other fully before they will breed sucessfully

hope thsi may help