Sign in to follow this  
reggieroo

Picking up the new addition(baby cag)to the family tomorrow

I'm going to collect Murphy my new baby African grey tomorrow & I'm so excited. I feel like a big kid at Christmas, won't be able to sleep tonight :D

That's a pic of him in my avatar at about 9 weeks old.

I've wanted an African grey for 10 years now & finally getting my wish.

I've had his cage set up for over a week & finished his stand yesterday, also took a delivery of some tidymix on Friday. We went shopping yesterday & bought some fruit & veg, we have vowed to eat more ourselves as we have two little babies to feed now, Murphy & my 5 month old daughter. I also got him a papaya as a special treat, I believe they love the seeds the most.

Well it was a long day with about 7 hours of driving but well worth the trip & Leslie was great. Murphy is such a lovely boy & has settled in really well, he also loves cuddles. Here's some pics of him sleeping on us (we were all ready for bed) & one on his new stand that I built for him & the other him having a stretch.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What a sook! He looks lovely. Might need a few more branches on his "tree" though as he's only young and goonky yet, not got the hang of all climbing yet...think I'm right in saying baby greys are particularly clutsey? Hope you all have a wonderful life together.

He is a little clumsy in his cage, use his wings to help him climb about :o On his stand he just sits & has a little nibble on the wood, have gave him some cardboard toilet roll holders to chew on.

He has also been crying (I think it is crying) in the evenings, not sure what he wants but he ended up snuggled into my chest again last night while we were watching a film & he slept for about 1 hour & a half then was fine after that :)

Maybe try to feed him...are you sure he is truly weaned and eating well? Sometimes baby birds regress a little bit with the shock of a new home. Even if he is eating, try feeding him warm soft food, say porridge or rice, even if he isn't actually hungry it establishes that you are now his "parent replacement" and will care for him. This shouldn't go on for too long as he will soon settle and regain his "grown-up" behaviour. ...But cuddles are good.

He is a little clumsy in his cage, use his wings to help him climb about :o On his stand he just sits & has a little nibble on the wood, have gave him some cardboard toilet roll holders to chew on.

He has also been crying (I think it is crying) in the evenings, not sure what he wants but he ended up snuggled into my chest again last night while we were watching a film & he slept for about 1 hour & a half then was fine after that :)

It reminds me of when i brought Max home (one of Lesley's babies). He will become more familiar with his cage and more apt at moving around. Do on occaisions move things about and put new things in there though so he gets used to things changing.

The crying is wanting comforting or food, it is a big step for them and i always comforted Max when he did this, however there does become atime when he will do it unnecessarily just for attention, and this is when to stop running to him when he cries. I always have snuggles with Max before bedtime and then he settles as he knows it is timefor him to go in his cage. I would be aware they do sleep more at this stage and make sure he goes to bed at an appropriate time. I found Max needed at least 12 hours at the age Murphy is.

All the best with him, beautiful pics made me all broody :lol::lol:

I thought it might be food & after talking to Leslie I tried him with some food on a baby spoon (angel delight, what we were eating at the time) & he wasn't interested. I then put him back in his cage & he wasn't interested in the food there either & wanted to get back to us. That's when he had his snuggles on me & a little sleep. After this I put him to bed in his cage & he stuffed his face for ages, so I think it was snuggles he wanted initially.

It's all new to him & it will take him time to adjust to his new home so I don't think it's anything to worry about + I've got 24/7 support from Leslie if I need it.

I'm so happy I've got my baby grey :D:):lol::P

All baby greys are usually pretty clumsy. a lot of the time we move them from a small cage into a big one and they need to find their way around.

Sometimes when you give them hot food it makes them go back to baby and then you need to start the weaning process again.

It seems that the bird is eating ok , best thing I feel is to leave him to settle in and find his feet himself

Awwwwwwwwwwwww

Major was a bit like that when he came home. He loved warm weetabix and mashed banana before bedtime.

Now he is a nutter, he is currently on my daughters wardrobe shouting at the pigeons outside her window!!!

Awww congratulations! I had not had a baby, only rehomes/rescues until bex came along. It took some getting used to having a baby grey around I tell you! Then Scooby came along, one of Kleo babies and he was different again! But it nice to have a baby around the house and watch them grow :D My Bex is now growing into a friendly and very well mannered young lady, and Scooby - Well he's just the star of my life, and a boisterious little lad LOL :D

Yesterday eve he was really going for it with the baby noises & looking & stretching out at Kate & also flying after her. We decided to give him some baby rice to settle him down & he went absolutely mad for it. He virtually attacked the spoon & couldn't get in in his mouth fast enough in a feeding frenzy & guzzled the whole lot in minutes. Then he was content & went to sleep.

I'm now wondering if he will expect this all the time & if he wants some again tonight, give it to him?

I would, he has suddenly been thrown into strage surroundings and looking to you to see if you care. I still give major warm weetabix and banana off a spoon every now and then. It's always useful too if they ever need medicine!

Midland parrots I beg to differ with you...babies may regress when in new surroundings but if raised with compassion and attention soon go back to being independent, by giving a new baby food you let them know you will care for them and that they are safe, this is called Abundance Weaning (you might find it on the net if you google it). This leads to a secure confident and ultimately self assured adult bird.

Many breeders set an age that babies should be weaned and regardless of the little individual concerneds actual developement. You've got to remember everything you do impacts on your relationship with this baby, leave it hungry and the relationship deteriorates, after all what if you were really hungry and your folks said "Go away..you shouldn't be hungry" Feed the baby (and encourage self feeding by providing soft food for it) make it feel safe and cared for and it will see you as a wonderful being. It's a no brainer really. The never "growing up" thing is a myth. Sounds like you've proven to yourself baby is needing feeding...trust your instincts and your heart.

Take on board what Hotfoot says,

otherwise you will end up like me ive totally mother cottled my Cockatiel Sandy I had

him from a young Baby too, now a year in and he loves dominating me I can't leave the house without him screaming,you don't want your

bird to start being with you all the time, cos when they get that into there bird brains then it becomes worse for the owner lol

Cute little guy though,

he looks so very young and innocent now but a year or so lol :D

I agree - Most babies I know have needed a little comfort feeding when they get to their new home - I did it with Scooby for about 2 weeks, 1 feed of a night coz he asked for it, and then all of a sudden he dropped it - Decided he didnt need it anymore. IMO you do more harm than good denying it, so I would carry on until your baby decides he's has enough x

I've spoken with Paul on the phone ad recommended everything that Hotfoot Jackson has said. He had been refusing feeds for about a week before leaving me and I know he will soon start refusing them on his own again but they should always be offered.

It is vital though that he is offered plenty of soft foods as he always used to guzzle them. Things like cooked pulses, Tropical soak mix, sprouted seed, cooked rice, cooked pasta, cooked veg etc.