Sign in to follow this  
vodoodoll1

newbie amazon parrot (vodoodoll1)

Hi all :D . me and my husband just bought a amazon parrot, orange winged. off an old couple who are retiring and wanted somebody that would live throughout the birds life. Hes 25years old our first parrot. named tommy although i think personally its a girl as he prefers my husband.

Is there anyway of encouraging him to play with his toys, he had a few in his cage when we got him wooden ropey style toys and we bought him one but he hasnt touched them he seems very happy and eaten well and has an open top cage which he sits on top alot. Hes only flown down onto the floor twice since we got him(month and half ago) and that was mostly cause of fear. he hasnt been out of his cage as the lady said she was more scared of the dogs getting him so he pretty much looks like he doesnt know how to fly. Would he better with more colourful toys perhaps?. We put some grit down he hasnt touched that and prbably doesnt know what that is and we even put a cuttlefish in his cage never touched. i dont know if these things are right any other suggestions?. thankyou

We rehomed our triton cockatoo jess when we first gt her she barley moved from her perch , when we got her home we set up her cage exactly how she had it previous . . well i decided to move it all around also we relaised she wa sonly moving for her food and water so i brought click on bowls and reguallry moved these around as well as having her permanate ones and also hang toys close to her food and water bowls in order for her to notice them and get near them now takes interest in toys in her cage a little she has her faves we also brought a cat litter tray and filled it with foot toys which she prefers to play with outside her cage : )

Hi well done for taking on an older bird very rewarding :lol: They don't normally have grit in the bottom of the cage.If Tommy is eating and drinking well don't worry the playing will come later.It is all new to him is he on a good diet?Most parrots choose not to fly unless they have to :roll: Take things slowly.

i didnt know if they needed the grit or oyster shells for there gizzard, as smaller birds e.g. cockatiels do. i will try the toys nearer the food bowls, thankyou for the tips. its a pretty old cage so its got holes where the bowls go so we cant move them around but i can move the perches. we will get him a new cage in the near future probably one with a playstand on top as he likes sitting up there. he is really doing well considering hes been with a couple of 25yrs and he/shes taking to my husband really well. hes on a reasonable diet as far as i think i know he eats fresh fruit everyday varied and the mixed parrot seed every dat and peanuts and dried fruit as treats.

thanks again for your tips x

Well done taking on the old chap..please may I suggest a couple of things? I'm not picking, just trying to help. I agree with Marion, let the old chap settle before you worry about his play. As long as he's eating and is bright ans alert he's doing OK, it will have been a big change for him, he needs time to adjust. Some might disagree but most parrots do not need grit to digest their food, they chew food up and don't rely on the action of grit in their digestive tract to break down the food like turkeys ans chickens. Also peanuts can be infected with a truly nasty fungus that causes Aspergillosis infection in parrots lungs, most folk don't feed their birds peanuts, better to give pine nuts (the sort that are peeled for people food) almonds (if in the shell they provide entertainment for parrots too)or walnuts. While cuttlefish is good often parrots chew the heck out of it but ingest very little, so maybe a calcium suppliment like Calcivet might be better.

Posted Image

Loads to share, learn and enjoy

Can we recommend you have a look through our section of Information Topics©?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Please, feel free to ask anything you would like more info about or hear others experiences of. We are proud of our friendliness and sense of community and welcome all who join us whether an experienced parrot keeper, breeder, hobbyist, one-bird owner or researching parrots as a possible addition to your life

To encourage with toys, you can pretend to play with them yourself..parrots are communal people and are joiners, especially if you smile a lot and laugh. You might also try natural stuff first, bits of safe tree braches/twigs and leaves...then move on to other toys. Natural stuff is something they would do in the wild anyway so you're using "hard wired" behaviour to lead into using human made toys. You're doing well so far, keep it up.

No but there is a thread here somewhere detailing safe branches, maybe LAM would be kind enough to put it up? LAM I'm not computer savy enough to do this... Most fruit trees (apricot, cherry avocado and plum are not) are safe, there are also some garden plants that are OK, but best consult a list. When in doubt ..don"t. At the moment my corella Dusty is sitting in her cage on her stickybeak perch (looks out to the street) chewing on Buffalo lawn runners, so lots of stuff in the garden is OK, just make sure to wash the stuff well first and that it hasn't been sprayed. You could also google safe plants..many sites also have lists.

Just found this thread I am pleased to say that I took tommy on a couple of weeks ago from this lady and he is a lovely chap just very cage territorial.Loves head tickles from all of us including the kids,He has settled in very well considering all the changes he has had.Here is a pic of tommy

Posted Image

If you can find some hawthorn berries I bet the little chap will enjoy eating them and also playing with the leaves and twigs.

Another trick you can use to encourage play is to wrap up some nuts or seeds in several twists of paper - they often like playing with the paper as well as ripping it up to get to the food.

Also you can thread bits of cardboard in and out of the cage bars - they like pulling it out and chewing it up.