Sign in to follow this  
nerb

Jasper (Help with new parrot please)

Hi to all you parrot lovers out there i have recently got an african gray jasper who is 16 months old and am desprate to become friends with him but he not letting me near him and i dont want to stess him he is improving a little and i know patience is a virtue but i dont want him to be just a bird in a cage i want him to intergrate with the family if anyone got any tips that can help it would be much appriecated

Hi there and welcome.

You dont say how long you have had your grey home? Moving from one home to another is very stressful for them, and depending on the bird can take up to a few weeks to fully settle down into a new routine. Also greys in general are not 'family' birds. They are well known for choosing a favourite person, and sticking to that person. Have you noticed him favouring anyone in particular yet? If so, then use that person to try and help him come out his shell. I would leave the cage door open for him to come and go for now, and let him explore his new surroundings (making sure other animals are away and doors shut etc). At 16 months old, he's still really a baby, so as long as he's not been ill treated should start to come round fairly quickly. Find out what his favourite foods are and offer them to him.

When you say he wont let you near him, what do you mean? Is he growling, trying to bite or flying away?

hiya this is my "nerb" is my aunt, she is having probs posting a reply to you so i thought id reply!. she bought Jasper from parrotcare (breeder) and brought him home at the begining of the new year, he is hand reared, 16 months old. everytime she tries to give him a treat eg grape he goes to the back of the cage a screams/growls he also does this when anyone goes near his cage although he seems to be getting a bit better when u r just walking past him. he hasnt been out his cage yet do u think it would help to let him out to have a wonder and see things himself? he does does favour my cousin (male!!) more than anyone else.

thanks

Guest eblimegreen

is this where you aunt got him from? http://www.parrotcare.com/ as there is also a charity called Parrotcare for which i am a member and i would hate for others reading this to get the two mixed up.

where abouts is his cage positioned? are there any other pets or chiuldren in the house? was he let out of his cage before he was sold do you know? These things willl take time.....progress can be very slow....but i believe ANY bird can be turned around with patience and love.

yeah sorry never realised there was 2, its parrotcare.com no she has 2 grown up children and the cage is postioned next too her chair so he has a full view of the whole room and she can sit next to the cage and talk with him, but if she does this he moves to the far end of the cage. she has a cockatiel also but there cages r not beside each other. as far as we are aware he did get out of his cage on a regular basis but we have tried to contact the breader again but he has never got back intouch with us

Guest eblimegreen

i would suggest that his cage is positioned against two walls (if possible ) so he feels safe.....just to start with. then when she goes over to talk to him and offer him treats talk softly giveing praise. i would personally open his cage door and see what he does. This will be a big step for your aunt, and it is a hard one to make. i went through the same with my Jasper and didnt know how he was going to react. Shut the curtains...or have nets up so he doesnt panick and fly into any windows. make sure the doors and windows are kept shut and the other people in the household know to do this too. dont feed him when he is outside of his cage as food will be a good enticement to help him back into his cage. and just see what he does. i gained my Jasper's trust this way.

Has Jasper been at the breeders all this time or has he already been bought once then returned to them? Seems a funny age for a bird to be sold if it has been at the breeders all this time and possibly not used to much human interaction, hand reared or not.

yeah he was at the breeders the whole time. it did cross our mind about the reason he was being sold at this age rather than the normal 3/4 months but never really thought to much into it.

no we never saw jasper before we got him, we bought him over the internet and arranged to meet half way between both homes to collect him. we have since tried to contact parrotcare.com but have never gotten a reply. when we got him he looked well cared for and healthy its just now he wont interact with anyone

hey guys sussed (i hope) how to post just want to say thanks for all your help am gonna try and let jasper out or at least leave cage door open and let him decide but i want to leave it till weekend then at least he got all day to decide if he wants to come out and plenty time to decide when he goes back in cage so i will keep you posted on a better note we are making some progress he not growling near as much and he coming to front of cage when he wants to get your attention and will whistle away and is saying hello small steps but if i take them slowly and one at a time then hopefully he will learn to trust me

Don't know much about parrotcare but having looked at their web site, they look like a set up that 'cares' for money far more than the parrots and it is quite disgusting that they have failed to ring you back. I would be tempted to take what they have said about his background with a pinch of salt. He has either been returned to them by someone or was going to be kept for breeding but maybe wasn't settling to aviary life. It is possible that living in a home type set up is quite new to him and he is likely to be terrified.

Sounds like he is beginning to settle in and think you've got it spot on with taking things slowly, at his pace. Look forward to hearing how he progresses.

i think you right as i dont think he has had much human contact and is new to home life and is slowly getting to know us and recognise family members and will now whistle away to us all he is not sure of strangers tho. He is now saying hello when i enter the room first thing in morning which is great for me i love it. He loves grapes and monkey nut so am using them as treats i have tried him with oranges pomagranites strawberry and pearsbut have found he prefers the apple and grapes does anyone know any other fruits i can give him. Once again thanks for all your help and support

Guest eblimegreen

here is a link to some fruits and veggies that people have discussed in the past. https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/4475-links-to-assorted-feeding-threads%c2%a9/

please be aware of the risks of feeding him monkey nuts.... https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/8150-monkey-nuts-warning/

my Jasper had these before he came to live with me. he will never see another one again...he is far too precious to me. instead you can try other nuts in their shells

Just reading your posts, You say that you met halfway, To be fair that is not the way to buy a parrot. If you have bought it from John at Parrotcare then I would be very surprised that he would treat you that way as he is normally very professional.

have you got all the paperwork for the bird. ie: Hatch certificate, any DNA certs etc.?

On the myth that african greys are one person birds that is not always true. We actually own 5 and they will all come to both my wife and myself as do all the birds, we have 33 that are pets, The baby greys that we sell are all hand reared and and will go to anyone, we keep in contact with customers and get the feedback.

I would never sell any bird and meet someone anywhere, they either come to the shop and collect it or they don't have it, We want people to see the bird, hold the bird and play with it. If you are not able to go to their property or shop and see the bird then basically steer clear is my advise.

We work with the RSPCA, are members of the petcare trust, have our own vet advisor (Brian Stockdale) also rehomed a number of birds ourselves and as has already been mentioned these creatures are very precious to us, they are NOT pets but companions. It is important in my opinion that when buying a parrot the buyer should go and see the bird, meet the seller and get the feel for his passion.

Find out, particularly if it is older than say 20 weeks why they are selling it. When someone is selling a second hand bird which is what I believe you have been sold they don't usually tell you the truth anyway.

If you have any problems contacting John at Parrotcare then call me as he always generally answers the phone when I ring.

Posted Image

these two babies were sold to different owners but whilst with us lived together,

This little fellow came to us having been terroised by 7 dogs, It took us two days to get the trust in our dogs as you can see.

Posted Image

And this little fellow here fell in love with this customer and now shares her life.

Posted Image

well guys Jasper came out hic cage today it was amazing and i got him back in his cage without too much fuss he is certainly not a biter as he had lots of oppertunity to bite me but didnt so my cofidence with him grew and he now knows that am not going to hurt him i think he has had his wing clipped tho as he didnt fly very well it was totally fantastic holding him i had to cup him in my hands to get him back in his cage but am certainly going to keep working on it. I have to say thanks to Brendalee my neice who came over and made me bite the bullet so thanks hon for all your moral support with Jasper and a big thanks to you guys for the infomation and support you have given hopefully Jasper and i will will now be able to have more fun together i will kepp you posted on how we doing

ur welcome auntie bren!!!!!! hopefully its the beginning of that special bond u will come to have with him and before u know it u will get ur dream of sitting reading the paper together on the couch

Hey Guys Jasper was out again today with my son and went back to his cage himself well back to the top anyway and we all getting nearer his cage too so all these small steps can only be good my wee fellow doing great am really proud of him and that he is starting to trust me one small step for man but one huge leap for parrot lol again thanks for the moral support