Sign in to follow this  
day

Providing boxes for entertainment and behaviour probs?

I've realised that my Indie (call him a he but don't actually know) loves boxes and tearing them up into pieces. The thing is, he did it with a very large one on the sly (would fly up onto my wardrobe, play about, come down) and I recently threw it out as there were massive holes in it and it was useless. Indie's face was...panicked? Um, checking that I had removed it, watching me almost helplessly as I cleaned up all the mess he had made with tons of shredded cardboard. Am I potentially dealing with a lady who was thinking of making a nest or what? The running up and down, squawking, lifting his head higher and watching everything I did as I cleaned up, wide eyed and worried?

Because of the box thing I was thinking am I looking at this the wrong way? I have a small box he could have in his cage to rip apart, could make a hole he could walk around in it or potentially have I got a female who would take this as an opportune moment to make a nesting box for me and Indie to have some very deformed parrot/human mutation babies? His behaviour has been a little more moody lately, he loves me but is more likely to properly nip my partner quite hard at the moment, and sometimes me so I'm not sure what I'm dealing with or whether I'm compounding nesting behaviour by accident with the whole shredding that box thing.

Sorry if that's confusing and hope someone might shed light on his behaviour and what would send him the right message.

my 3 have boxes at the bottom of their cages full of bits of plain paper for them to shred(some already shredded by me).They have toys hidden in there and daily I add things like pine nuts,raisins and the occasional bit of pepper and grapes etc.They lvoe to be scrabbling about in it-especially the conures.Maybe Indie is just 1 of those birds who loves to shred?

Am I potentially dealing with a lady who was thinking of making a nest or what?

Well, that's why I've turned over the cupboard above the oven to Merlin and Mabel.

I put a huge box in there and let them shred it to their hearts content 8)

Within reason, just let them got on with it! I have a temporary grey here, and he LOVES to shred - Boxes, tubes, paper, books he's not fussy, just give him something to shred and he's happy :D And if I forget to give him something that day? Well he shreds the newspaper on the bottom of his cage of course! :wink:

Thanks for all the replies folks :) I had to chuck that box and contents out as he had started to nibble an inflatable mattress we had forgotten about. Needless to say it won't be holding air any more...!! I've put a large shoe box out for him and he's having a field day so thanks people. It was only because I had read somewhere that supplying boxes to birds can make them, if they're especially attached as mine is becoming, broody and more at risk of phantom pregnancies which I know they don't need a boy to lay an egg. I don't Indie to become confused or get into something like that. He has enough problems thinking he's human...! Thanks everyone :D