Sign in to follow this  
Pottys Mum

Charley is such a dear...

She really is such a dear.

She is now quite bald and will only tolerate scritches on the back of her head, on her face and down her back on her terms.

If she doesn't want the attention, she simply takes my finger in her beak and pushes it away - never biting.

And even if she needs to latch on to me because she has lost her balance, which sometimes happens, again, she only uses just enough pressure to keep her safe and never enough to hurt me.

In fact, the only time she bites in earnest is if I need to be a bit intrusive, for example trimming her toenails.

The others, of course, are nowhere near as gentle, as the copious scars on my hands will attest.

Anyone else notice more gentle behaviour from those in need?

Hi, Marion.

She still has some feathers around her face but they are thinning out fast and she will look very odd when they have gone.

I've been trying to upload photos but for some reason they don't seem to be accepted.

When she fluffs herself up, it is as if she is wearing a ruff, like Queen Elizabeth I :shock:

Bless her you have looked after her so very well Debs she is a credit to you.Isn't strange that you should have 2 birds with feather problems?Maybe god has sent these darlings to you as he knows you will look after them for him.

Awwww Debs, I just had a look at your 2009 pics of Charley. Poor baby. Sorry you and she are having to go through this. She sounds so sweet though. I'm guessing you have to keep her separate from the others? It must be so tough. xxxxx

Well, actually, they are all in each other's company.

John (vet) said that since Charley had been with us nearly a year before being diagnosed, the chances were that if the others hadn't caught it from her, they wouldn't do so.

Of course, I had a scare recently with Skinny but that isn't PBFD.

So, Charley lives in the kitchen - she has the whole of the work surface down one side to herself and ladders across to the table, where ther's a big box she likes to sit on and shred.

When the others aren't in their palace in the conservatory, they are in the kitchen with her.

Skinny is very friendly towards Charley but Merlin and Mabel can cut up rough, so I have to keep an eye on them.

'Tis a rare event that the table is uncovered and used for its intended purpose :P

Well, actually, they are all in each other's company.

John (vet) said that since Charley had been with us nearly a year before being diagnosed, the chances were that if the others hadn't caught it from her, they wouldn't do so.

I think that's a huge plus for her and you! :D Although I can see why you were so anxious about Skinny. Strangely enough, earlier today I was glancing through an old edition of BirdTalk mag which had some about PBFD. The carer was dressed head to toe in white over clothes. The "patient" was an almost naked Cockatoo who was actually quite happy. I think there were two articles - one about the doctor who is trying to find a cure. If you like I can photocopy the article(s) and send it to you... I think it was last years edition - ie not that old. I can't check right now coz Kobe is asleep.

Oh, yes, please, the more info the better.

If you can scan them, you could e-mail them to me without having to pay the postage?

Thanks again.

I do have to be very careful about the risk that I might contaminate others inadvertently, so I regularly fog the lounge and hall, etc.

And if I am going out, I always make sure I bathe and dress in non parrot clothes before doing so. Especially when going to get their food, when I know there will be other birds around.

But I've stopped short at wearing a white suit - mind you, I've spotted a few nice young men in clean white coats :P

But I've stopped short at wearing a white suit - mind you, I've spotted a few nice young men in clean white coats :P

:lol::lol::lol:

Awwwww - she's so lovely. Of course I will photocopy or scan the articles. Will have to do it at work as I don't have either. I was being taught how to use the scanner last week... if I can remember how, I will scan, if not I'll have to photocopy... will have to do it sneakily. :wink:

Oh my, those pictures made me want to cry for her, horrible horrible disease, I so wish they could find a cure for it. :(

But on the plus side, she is loved, and happy, and I bet she doesn't really know any different, bless her xx