Sign in to follow this  
Tidds

Hello from Nicola & Sophie Sue (Harrow, Middlesex)

Hi Guys and Gals,

Its nice to join this forum and read some of the post. I have a 6 year old Umbrella Cockatoo called Sophie Sue, also known as Tooeyloo and Tidds. She only really gets called Sophie when we are telling her not to do something! I've had her since she was 7 months old. She's very tame, very loving and at times very naughty (when she doesnt get her own way).. but all in all she's good most of the time. She likes doing tricks like playing basketball and stacking hoops and playing avian Connect 4 and a few more, she even knows a card trick. I'm hoping to start flight training her when the weather warms up a bit.

Anyway, nice to meet you guys.

Nicola

Hi Nicola,

I am new too and also have an umbrella cockatoo, 13 years old, called Fifi (also known as Effie, tinkerbell, fi-fums, ... she answers to jut about anything!) She is really tame but not interested in doing tricks. I used to have a moluccan called Sam who loved all the ame games as Sophie - I recognie the basketball ring!

Nice to meet you and Sophie

Kim

Hi Kim,

I was reading your post earlier, about your Umbrella laying you eggs. Sophie started laying eggs for my boyfriend about 8 month ago.. We have only been together a couple of years too, and living together for about a year, but she tends to lay him eggs every couple of months or so. She has a sleeping bag she loves going under on the sofa and we find them in there. I had a big problem with jelousy with her when her hormones kicked in, and she got very vicious towards me because she went mad for men. I had to have her wings clipped once because she would fly at my face and I discussed the fact with her avian vet that this was becoming quite scarey and he suggested clipping her wings just to get her down at ankle height which was safer, the little bugger learned to fly again after about a week, she just flapped her wings extra fast but it did get us over that issue, because she's out of her cage most of the time we are at home. Now she's happy out and about with both of us sitting around (as long as we dont sit next to each other). Sophie loves tricks but she's not that bothered about toys in her cage.. I can spend a fortune on toys and she wont bother with them at all, she just waits til everyone is at home and wants to come out of her cage. The only toy she really bothers with is a full coconut toy that she can shred.

Haha you cant help but give them lots of names, I used to call her tiddle bum and my bf made it Tidds for short and it just stuck!

It must have been mad haveing a big Moluccan around the house.. they are sooo big! and so beautiful!

Posted Image

Loads to share, learn and enjoy

Can we recommend you have a look through our section of Information Topics©?:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/forum/22-parrot-link-information-topics/

Also a variety of topics you may like to wander through:

https://www.parrot-link.co.uk/topic/6216-welcome-info-pack%c2%a9/

Please, feel free to ask anything you would like more info about or hear others experiences of. We are proud of our friendliness and sense of community and welcome all who join us whether an experienced parrot keeper, breeder, hobbyist, one-bird owner or researching parrots as a possible addition to your life

Hi Nicola,

That's harsh that she was your bird and you are the one she takes her hormonal frustrations out on! Fifi is a woman's bird and always has been so it's just my boyfriend she is really aggressive with and he tries really hard with her! She has only ever laid one egg whole while playing under a blanket, which she loves. The others she does at night from her perch and they smash on the floor. She shows no interest in them. It's funny you said that you can't sit together - fifi is the same, happy as long as he doesn't come near me and he isn't allowed in certain rooms of the house that she sees as hers! As for toys, she isn't into playing in her cage either but loves chewing up rubber ducks and toothbrushes are a favourite - it costs me a fortune!

Kim